QUESTION TO AZOREAN

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Bowhunter
Light Lager
Light Lager

QUESTION TO AZOREAN

Post by Bowhunter »

Hi Paul:
I looked up your Oktberfest recipe and it peeked my interest so I made a batch. I just finished racking to my secondary fermenter and placed it into my lager cooler at 55 F and gradually dropping the temperature within one week to 45 F. I plan to lager until Sept.(4 months) and then bottle and condition 1 month. My question: Is 45 degrees F a good temperature to lager this beer?

Tom
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

That's what I use

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Tom,

Sorry for the delay my wife and I just got back from Disney World / Universal of a week of vacationing.

Regardless, my dispensing chest freezer also serves as my lagering cooler. I set the temp to 42-45 and leave it there, that is where I generally lager at.

Some may protest that you should lager at a cooler temp, but I have never had a problem at 42-45F. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

PS don't let your air lock dry out, you'll get oxidation off flavors, it happened to me the very first time, I have learned from that LOL ...

Paul.
Bowhunter
Light Lager
Light Lager

Azorean

Post by Bowhunter »

paul
I never thought about the airlock drying out. I'll let you know how the beer turns out. Thanks very much.
Tom