First double decoction mash

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

First double decoction mash

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hey gang,

Today I brewed my "Highland Gaelic Ale" Recipe using a double decoction mash schedule. I attained 122F for 30 minutes and pulled the thickest 40% of my grist. Heated it to boil for 15 minutes and added it back into my mash tun (slowly over the course of 15 minutes). I checked the temp and it was 143F ( a little low), but I immediately pulled the second 40% and got the to a slow boil. Added it back into my mash tun. temp didn't reach 158F as suggested but it was at 152F. Mashed out with 170F water.

The recipe I was going for is very malty in character. I have made this recipe many times before but this was my first decoction. I raised my OG by 6 points. I normally have a starting OG of 1.054, today I had 1.060. The recipe is in the archives but here it is for quick reference. I am expecting this to be the best one yet ... Cheers brew land.

Paul.

7 lb. Pale malt (I used 7# recipe calls for 6#, wanted a wee bit more kick :-))

3 lb. Munich Malt
1 lb. 40 Lov. Crystal
1/2 lb. 60 Lov. Crystal
1/4 lb. Special Roast (or Special "B" if you can't find the roast)

.75 oz Chinook 90 min.
1 teaspoon Irish Moss 60 minutes
.75 oz Willamette 1 min
.75 oz Cascades 1 min

Whitelabs Burton ale yeast.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

We're Not Worthy

Post by BillyBock »

You da man, Paul!

How long did it take you? I've always thought about doing a decoction. But for now on malty german lagers I just use a bunch of Munich :-)

v/r
Bill
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Just took the plunge

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hey Billy, how's it going?

Stop with the worthy stuff, I just took the plunge, mostly because I was curious enough to try it, I have been reading all I can about decoction mashing and knew that this was the recipe to try it on. As for the time about 2 hours total mash time. Mostly because this being the first one and me not knowing what to expect.

One thing looking back that I did not do (but will in the future) was use a 3 parts liquor to one part grain ratio. This might account for my lacking in temp's. I used my standard 1 pound grain to 1 1/4 quarts of water.

I must say that you should be prepared for a bit more work, but man I did get good efficiency out of it, the analyzer estimated 80%. But I will have to wait for this recipe to be drinkable to see if it is worth it. I traditionally use a single infussion mash schedule, which consists of 90 minutes at 152-154F, and mash out with 170F water.

I'll let you know how it went in about three weeks OK?

Regards,

Paul.
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

You do not need an Acid rest

Post by Raydownunder »

Hi

I have been making decoction beers now for 2 years and the biggest change was to eliminate the protien rest as it will make your beers to thin. It is not needed with todays well modified malts unless you might have 50% raw wheat in the bill. Sorry to say but the beer you just made will be thin.

I only do a single decoction mash with some styles of German lagers, all the rest of the beers I make are single infusion with various temps for that style.

All my decoctions start at 64C (147 F) for 60 minutes. I add 1/8 th of a teaspoon of sodium metabisulphate to the mash as this has proven to eliminate astringency in the beers. I take out 40% of this with plenty of wort and slowly bring it to the boil and boil it for 10 minutes only. Slowly stir this back in the mash, this should only take 10 minutes at the most.

This will raise the mash temp to 70C (158 F) and hold this for 30 minutes. Run-off to your boiler as normal.

Hope this is some help for future decoctions as its not hard just a little more time but the results are good. It will change the colour of the beer only slightly if its a pale lager. My brewhouse gives me 65% efficiency for single infusion and I work on 72% for a single decoction.

Cheers
Ray Mills
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks Ray, live and learn

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Ray I appreciate your guideance, I thought that I was doing the right thing. I will wait and see how this turns out. I am sure it will be drinkable, just not the target I was looking for. next time I'll try a single infussion mash at 155F to bring out more malt.

Cheers Mate,

Paul.