CIDER

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

CIDER

Post by Fraoch »

Anyone know anything about the best way too make a dry cider from scratch?????In other words, using a large amount of apples etc.Was thinking of using a champagne yeast,anyone able to shed some light??????
Thanks and cheers!

fraoch
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

a couple

Post by fitz »

depending on the % of alc desired, you should pick your yeast. Champagne Yeast will make a clean taste, but a high % of alc. With cider, you will want to sweeten it back at least slightly, or you'll lose the flavor of the apple.
Danstar ecs 1118 is a good yeast to use that won't give you a 20+ % alc. buy some wine conditioner or make your own out of SS and meta-bisulfate
dohertyd
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yeast

Post by dohertyd »

All of the cider recipes I've seen call for champagne yeast.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

As I stated

Post by fitz »

As I stated, depending on the alc% you want to achieve, all yeasts are not equal. I used Champagne yeast on a pear/Concord wine last year that didn't stop fermenting until it had a very substantial alc% If you want to taste the fruit, some sweetner will have to be added if the terminal gravity isn't high enough in unfermented sugars.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Thanks for the replies....

Post by Fraoch »

Cheers guys,i wasnt sure how to make a good cider.I was thinking of arresting the fermentation process at around 1.005 by dropping the temperature to point of freezing and removing the yeast,after all isnt this called "champagning" or something.i heard of someone who puts his conditioned beer bottles upside down in the freezer till it almost freezes, then when the crown seal is removed it pulls the yeast from the neck leaving a perfectly clear beer.
But back to the point, i was going to do something similar to leave an apple flavour but get a good dry cider also.Guess i should go and read up really.

Fraoch
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You don't have to freeze

Post by fitz »

You can kill off the yeast, and keep it from fermenting with a one two punch of Camden tablets and a potasium sorbate. Most store bought wines contain both of these although they say to use them with caution. Some people are alergic.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Unnatural substances

Post by Fraoch »

Thanks Fitz,
freezing is not a problem as there is an upright freezer to use( im doing this for a friend),apart from that, im a real pain in the butt when it comes to keeping everything as natural as possible and have always shyed away from using anything apart from the base ingredients.

Thanks Fraoch
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Not a problem

Post by fitz »

I have been called a Rienboltist myself. The only thing with the freezing approach, make sure you don't let it get to fermenting temps after it is bottled. What a mess, or sparkling cider.