Lager Question/Help

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

youdaman10

Lager Question/Help

Post by youdaman10 »

I'm in the middle of my first lager. I is a big dopplebock extract receipt. It is also my first attempt at a lager. All seems well after the first week in the primary. My question is this: I would normally rack my ales off the settlement after the first week in the primary. I have around 1 1/2 to 2 inches of settlement in a 6 1/2 gallon carboy in the fridge around 48 degrees F. Should I rack the beer off the settlement now and again at 4 weeks or just leave it for the four weeks? The receipt calls for 4 weeks in primary and 2 in secondary. I've always felt (with ales) that it is best to get the settlement away from the beer as soon as practical. What to do?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Leave It

Post by BillyBock »

I would leave it until it's done fermenting. Lagers take a lot longer than ales. My lagers typically drop an average of 4 specific gravity points per day. So for your big beer, it could easily take 2 to 3 weeks just to finish fermenting to terminal gravity.