gas during fermentation

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

the baron

gas during fermentation

Post by the baron »

im making my own beer for the first time with a mix of australian pilsener, yeast (included with the can), water and sugar. So after 1 day, i see the cover of my plastic container round, as if it was going to explode. I know it's the carbon dioxide, but what I want to know is should I let the gas go out? or wait until it explodes hehe. I don't have a carbon dioxide element on my container. Onlu the container with a cover (the cover has a gasket to lock the air, no worries for that). Thanks!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Let Her Rip

Post by BillyBock »

Yea, Baron, you want to get the gas out of there before you get your walls painted with beer :-) Just gently vent the lid and get yourself an airlock, or keep the lid on loose until you get one. Cleaning beer off the ceiling isn't fun...although it makes for a good conversation piece.
the baron

aaaah excellent

Post by the baron »

ok thanks, I wasn't sure if an airlock would be necessary because I haven't seen the requirement on other webpages (webpages about homebrewing..and even on the directives which came with my mix). Even my dad who is a big wine maker told me to get one.

Well, its by asking questions you exit the world of ignorance.

;-)