Keeping Sanitizing Solution

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

jcassady
Light Lager
Light Lager

Keeping Sanitizing Solution

Post by jcassady »

Question, is it a bad idea to keep a small amount of sanitizing solution in a jug or something?

For example, say I want to take a gravity reading, well I need to sanitize my stuff to take the sample so I mix up .5 oz of sanitizer to 2.5 gallons of water and sanitize the sample taker. I don't want to do this everytime I take a reading, incase i'm not close to my target. So can I keep a gallon of it in an old gallon water jug, or is that a bad idea?

-Jim
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You can keep some for a short period of time

Post by fitz »

You can reuse the sanitizer for a short period of time, but only use it as a sanitizer. clean your equip and just sanitize with the solution.
It will stay good for about a month, although it may start to weaken.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Star San Keeps

Post by BillyBock »

Most of the regulars here know I swear by Star San. You can mix up as much as you need, and as long as the pH stays below 3.0 it keeps on sanitizing like the Energizer bunny. I have a 5 gallon bucket of it right now that's 3 months old. I also keep some in a one quart spray bottle to spritz on small things.
jcassady
Light Lager
Light Lager

Cool thanks

Post by jcassady »

Good to hear, I use Star San as well. It felt like such a waste to be dumping 2.5 gallons just to take a sample. Next time I mix some up I'll keep more.

Do you cover your 5 gallon bucket with a lid to keep stuff from falling in it?