Not Fermenting?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Not Fermenting?

Post by zeno »

Is there any way that the yeast can multiply as usual but not ferment any beer?

For 4 days, the beer's been in the primary. The foam reached it's peak prolly tuesday night. The airlock is bubbling, but slowly, and that smell that normally fills the room isn't there.

The beer is a late octoberfest. I used Wyeast European Ale I think. Maby it's just going really slow, but I've always had fermentations that are more visually noicable (seeing the yeast swiming through the beer).

THe yeasty froth is dying down now, so I'll prolly take a reading this weekend and see where the gravity is.
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Yeast considerations.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Z,

It sounds as if you underpitched the yeast. Check the information on the Wyeast web site (www.wyeastlab.com).

This topic has been discussed many times before. The main idea is the viability of the yeast that is pitched. The important points are the age of the starter yeast, the SG of the wort, the amount pitched and the amount of O2 avalable to the yeast at the beginning of the fermentation cycle.

Wyeast states that high gravity worts (> 1.048) require a greater quantity of yeast slurry to be pitched. The rate they suggest is 2x/0.008 points above 1.046. Usually 1/2 gallon to 5 gallons of wort works well.

Follow these steps:
*Buy 'new' yeast
*make up a starter batch
*aerate or oxygenate your wort
*try and regulate your fermentation temperature (if you can,it will help you make better beer or ale)

Take a SG readings for a couple of days to see if the gravity is dropping. If it is high or not close to the expected final gravity you should make up a starter and repitch more yeast.

Good brewing,

Tom F.