dry hopping question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

dry hopping question

Post by joemez »

I have an american pale ale in primary right now. The kit came with extra hops to dry hop. The directions say to put it in after 4 days or so of fermentation. I have never done this before so, my question is, seeing as I use a secondary fermentor shouldnt it go in towards the end of the secondary?
Sisu
Light Lager
Light Lager

Secondary

Post by Sisu »

I add my dry hops to the secondary. I have tried the primary addition before and was disappointed because a good deal of the aroma was bubbled out with the CO2. If you are using hop pellets, just add them directly to the secondary and they will settle to the bottom in <7 days.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yup, me too ... Secondary

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I just read an article on this subject in BYO magazine, and the author stated that up to 2 oz. can be added to the secondary (which is high by my standards), I use 1 oz. of hop pellets, dumped in to the carboy prior to racking. And as previously stated less than 7 days they will settle out. I like Willamette, Liberty, Saaz, Cascades etc ... Good luck, try it you'll like it :-)

Paul.
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

ok

Post by joemez »

I'll do that. I plan on racking to the secondary in a few days and then leave in there for a week, so ill put the hops(pellet) in when I rack. thanks for the info guys
joe