Virgin Brewer

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

ollie

Virgin Brewer

Post by ollie »

Hi y'all. My first brew has just started fermenting. Can I seal the bin lid and use an air lock to release the CO2 or should i leave the lid on loose?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

seal the deal

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Welcome to the Guild. Seal your bucket and use the airlock filled with mild sanitizing solution. In the vigorous first stage of primary fermentation (high krausen), your head of foam (the krausen) will protect your beer from any aerobic air-borne beasties (that's hoe English-style open fermentation works). but after that head subsides, you don't want to leave the fruits (er, grains) of your labor exposed to the environment.

If you're using the old standby white food-grade plastic bucket fermenter you should not have any problems with light hurting your beer.

Let us know how it turns out. What did you brew?

Cheers,
Jim
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeh, Like He Said

Post by fitz »

Jim is right, while the Krausen is on the top of the beer, the airborne bacteria can't reach your beer, but it sould be a closed ferment for protection. If your fermenter has adequate headspace, you should put your lid on after pitching your yeast. That way the demon seed can't get tour wort before the good yeast can. As long as you aerate the wort before pitching the yeast, you should have plenty of oxygen to get the ball rolling.
ollie

Cheatin' first brew . . .

Post by ollie »

I've used a beer kit to get started. I'm not yet advanced enough to start mashing n stuff, but intend to get there soon.
It's lazy I know but does anybody have any page links worth reading for a fresh new brewer???
Many thanks for your advice so far.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

John Palmer "how to brew"

Post by Freon12 »

I don't have the link, but this has gotten rave reviews from the gallery here.

Steve
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

JPalmer...

Post by Push Eject »

www.howtobrew.com

Rock on,
Charlie