Original Gravity Extracts Analysis Adjustment

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
brewnet

Original Gravity Extracts Analysis Adjustment

Post by brewnet »

I've brewed a Cyser (closest BJCP 2015 style I can get with BTP2 is 28D. Other Specialty Cider/Perry).
I'm measuring 1.105 OG, but the program doesn't seem to go higher (or lower) than 1.102 OG.
Usually I adjust the Original Gravity field or the Efficiency field on the Analysis tab to make minor corrections (1 minute boil, trivial water loss).
With these two Extracts components (apple juice + honey) and no Grains components, this adjustment method doesn't work like an all-grain beer would. If I throw in a trivial dummy Grain, the adjustment method works fine on the Analysis tab. I think there is an issue with source of My Ingredients.
Version 2.0.24 64-bit database 9.3
Long-time user,
Ken
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Original Gravity Extracts Analysis Adjustment

Post by jeff »

What data did you enter for the juice? Did you create it as an extract or adjunct? I know the program doesn't include this as an ingredient.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
brewnet

Post by brewnet »

I did Adjuncts for honey because it's more appropriate as a Mash Tun entry than as a Boil Kettle entry. I don't want to boil honey.
I did Extracts for apple juice because it's like a thin fermentable.
Maybe it's that combo of 1 Adjunct + 1 Extract, with no Grains that throws it off?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

I think I know what's happening. The addition of a grain to the recipe allows BTP to arrive at your measured OG by adjusting the efficiency. Without the grain, however, the efficiency factor is eliminated from the calculations. Thus, BTP reverts to the predicted OG.

In order to accomplish what you want you'll have to use trial and error. You can make an adjustment to the yield or moisture for the extract or the adjunct ingredient, and then observe the change. You should be able to arrive at the correct OG after 2 or 3 tweaks.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff