Sorting Behavior

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sorting Behavior

Post by gromitdj »

Any chance that the sorting preference can be saved? While it saves the sort by date option, it's a little cumbersome to have to change the ascending/descending order every time I open the software. (I prefer that my most recent recipe be listed at the top)

I haven't updated to the most recent release, so it's possible this has been addressed.
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10 64 Bit)
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Sorting Behavior

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I have the latest version of BTP (2.0.22) and the problem you describe still persists. A couple of years ago the sorting issue was addressed, but the ascending/descending function didn't get fixed along with the rest of the preferences on the list. I don't know if it was an oversight or there was a technical reason. Like you I prefer to see the list in descending order which means I always have to change it. A minor annoyance that I've kind of gotten used to. Perhaps someday this will get fixed too.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

Maybe if we rattle the cage a couple more times...
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

I tested this on Mac and the preferences for each folder are successfully saved. However, each folder has its own set of settings. Changing the sort on one folder does not affect another. Are you observing different behavior on Windows?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Jeff, thanks for the quick response. On Windows 10 BTP works the same as you describe with respect to each folder having its own settings. However, this only applies to the top section of the drop down menu (Name, Style, Type, etc). Towards the bottom of the menu there is a horizontal line under which is a second section for selecting Ascending or Descending order. It is this second section that is not being saved when BTP is closed.
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:Towards the bottom of the menu there is a horizontal line under which is a second section for selecting Ascending or Descending order. It is this second section that is not being saved when BTP is closed.
This is the sort order that I am referring to as well. It does indeed save the "by date" option, but not the "descending" option.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

I confirmed the behavior and a fix is already implemented in next update soon to be released. It turns out that the setting is saved in preferences but orphaned when restoring the sorting field.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

Awesome, Thanks!
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Thanks, Jeff.
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

I hate to be a real PIA, but is there any way we can carry the sorting behavior over to the shopping list? Currently, when you add a recipe to the Shopping List window it defaults to sorting the recipes by name.
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

I guess this is a no-go?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Hey, sorry for the radio silence. The sorting behavior in the shopping list is based on the available columns—currently name, planned and assemble. To sort with another attribute requires the addition of another column. How do you want to sort your recipes?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

Thanks, Jeff. It's not a big deal. I can sort it by date currently, but if I exit and reopen the shopping list it defaults back to name. I would prefer that the sorting behavior I set up is saved when I close the shopping list. Similar to the issue that used to occur for the recipes. Which you have since fixed.

If it's not possible, or too much work to implement I completely understand.

Edited to add: I'm referring to when adding recipes to the shopping list, not when viewing the shopping list.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

I see what you mean now. That should be a simple adjustment but I will know better once I look at the code. Thanks for your patience.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate you looking into it.

I still love the software.