Calcium Chloride values wrong in BTP

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
JimInNJ

Calcium Chloride values wrong in BTP

Post by JimInNJ »

According to Palmer, 1 gram of Calcium Chloride should add 72 ppm Ca and 127 ppm Cl. Beer Tools Pro is adding 75 ppm Ca and 67 ppm Cl.

- Jim
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Welcome, JimInNJ

Post by billvelek »

Just noticed your post and that you are pretty new here so I want to welcome you to these forums. I hate that it's been five days since your post and no one has replied. I figure Jeff and Lathe (the developers of BeerToolsPro who are generally very responsive) must be very busy right now, but hopefully any correction will show up in the next upgrade.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I believe Palmer is right, according to my math.
This would be correct for anhydrous CaCl2, though, not CaCl2
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

[quote="slothrob"]I believe Palmer is right, according to my math.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

I'm wrong

Post by slothrob »

Sorry about that, I did the math wrong. I'm a biochemist and should know better, but we all have bad days, right? :oops:

CaCl2
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: I'm wrong

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:Sorry about that, I did the math wrong. I'm a biochemist and should know better, but we all have bad days, right? :oops:
Lets not forget that the whole reason this conversation started is because I got it wrong in BTP. Yes, we all have bad days. :cry:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Jeff, can you help some of us out here?

Post by billvelek »

[quote="slothrob"]I believe Palmer is right, according to my math.
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Jeff, can you help most of us out here?

Post by jeff »

[quote="billvelek"]By the way, I think I've figured out that CaCl2 is calcium cloride, but what is CaCl2
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Re: Jeff, can you help some of us out here?

Post by slothrob »

[quote="billvelek"]By the way, I think I've figured out that CaCl2 is calcium cloride, but what is CaCl2
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks

Post by billvelek »

Thanks, Jeff. I've edited the table and it looks like this now: http://home.alltel.net/billvelek/btp-wa ... owser.html

However, not only do I not know the breakdown of elements (Ca, Mg, etc.) for Anhydrous Calcium Chloride, but there also does not appear to be a way for a user to enter those values in the editor, unless I'm overlooking something somewhere. Just thought I'd mention this now before I forget, and then I presume you will eventually address that whenever you get around to working in this area of the program.

Had a mishap while brewing last weekend, although I don't blame BTP. It was late, and I was tired and in a hurry, and so I forgot to double-check the volume of my kettle with a dipstick ruler when my boil was complete. The last several brews came out a little less than my carboy, which added a bit of complaceny on my part. Well, you can probably guess that after crash cooling, I siphoned into my carboy, but left the kitchen to do some things, and when I came back I had about a pint of wort spead out over the kitchen floor.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Thanks

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:Well, you can probably guess that after crash cooling, I siphoned into my carboy, but left the kitchen to do some things, and when I came back I had about a pint of wort spead out over the kitchen floor.
Ugh :shock:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
JimInNJ

Post by JimInNJ »

Thanks. However I am more confused now. I got this bottle of LD Carlson Calcium Chloride from Northern Brewer. Is it CaCl2 or CaCl2
slothrob

CaCl2

Post by slothrob »

It appears to be CaCl2. It's somewhere in between, but probably balanced way toward anhydrous, at this point. I buy CaCl2
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP