Residual = dead space?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
erichonour
Light Lager
Light Lager

Residual = dead space?

Post by erichonour »

I've been working on dialing my system in on BTPro. I just finished calibrating my mash tun, as well as measuring the dead space. Here's my question: does entering a value for dead space in my vessel description mean that my residual volumes should be 0 in the schedule? In other words:

1. Is residual volume the same as dead space?

and

2. If so, once a determined value for dead space is entered, does BTP use that automatically, meaning that I don't need to enter a residual volume?

If the answers to both 1 and 2 are yes, is it possible to either have residual volume greyed out when a vessel is used, or to have another lock-box to force it to match?

If the answers are no, I could use an explanation on what residual volume is (I've looked in the user manual and the Wiki and can't find a detailed explanation anywhere).

thanks,
EH
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Residual = dead space?

Post by jeff »

erichonour wrote:1. Is residual volume the same as dead space?
No. Residual volume can be thought of as "available" volume. In other words, residual volume is the volume yet available for runoff or to be transferred to another vessel. To calculate residual volume, BTP subtracts water absorbed by grain, dead space and runoff from the total amount of water added during the process.
erichonour wrote:2. If so, once a determined value for dead space is entered, does BTP use that automatically, meaning that I don't need to enter a residual volume?
Yes. BTP calculates residual automatically using the dead space for the selected vessel, water absorption and collected runoff. If there is a field for residual volume in the editor panel, setting it to 0 implies that you desire to drain off all available volume.

Hope this clears it up a little.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
erichonour
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Residual = dead space?

Post by erichonour »

Yes. BTP calculates residual automatically using the dead space for the selected vessel, water absorption and collected runoff. If there is a field for residual volume in the editor panel, setting it to 0 implies that you desire to drain off all available volume.

Hope this clears it up a little.
Yes, I get it now. Thanks!

EH