Trouble with Hop Utilization Calcs

Have a question about BeerBot? Ask BeerBot users a question before you upgrade to the full version.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Trouble with Hop Utilization Calcs

Post by just-cj »

I'm having trouble with BeerBot's hop utilization calculations. Here's what it looks like.
Notice the alpha % -- that's not what I typed. I typed 8.8%, but when I hit either return or tab, it jumps to 880%. I can go back and manually put in the dot, but it's a pain in the butt to do that every time. I get it periodically with different settings, different calculation methods, etc. I also get weirdness sometimes when I type 5.5% (for example), and when I hit tab or return, it changes to 5%. Both problems happen on different machines: (1) eMac running 10.2.8; (2) iMac (flat screen) running 10.3.9. I haven't tried it yet on 10.4, but will when I get a chance.

Is anyone else having this trouble? Should I download again and reinstall? Should I give up and ask for my money back?
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by goodbyesoberday »

I get that too. You have to enter in either ".088" or "8.8%".

On the other issue, even though it rounds to the nearest whole number, the IBU calculation reflects the decimal point. HOWEVER, if you then tab over the field again, it changes the IBU value to the whole number. That is indeed a bug that needs rectifying, in my humble opinion.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'll try and see if your fudge fixes work when I get home tonight.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Working on it..

Post by jeff »

Thanks for pointing it out, we will work on the number field functionality.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Jeff -- thanks. 8)
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by goodbyesoberday »

Something I just noticed about this, if you have a decimal point in the AA% field and press tab to jump to the next one, it rounds the number off on display, however if you click on another field it does not.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I noticed that too..

Post by jeff »

I am not sure why that happens, but I think that is at the heart of the issue. Thanks for the extra details, it helps in locating the problem. :D
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Alpha% Field Issue Resolved

Post by jeff »

The alpha % field problem of rounding the number to the nearset whole value seems to be fixed. The latest download has been posted:

http://www.beertools.com/download/BeerBot1.0.sit

The value must still have the % sign following the number when entered as a percent. The decimal equivalent (0.051 = 5.1%) works as well. When using the new download, drag just the BeerBot (OS X) application file to your existing BeerBot1.0 folder. You may delete the old BeerBot application file. Important: If you replace your existing folder, you will erase your registration info, and we will have to supply you with a new license key!

If you have any problems with the new application, please post these here; and feel free to contact us a BeerTools.com. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Thanks. I'll let you know how it works in a few days when I get to test it out.

Cheers,

cj