Running BTP under Crossover Office in Ubuntu

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Running BTP under Crossover Office in Ubuntu

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Jeff/Lathe,
I recently started playing around with Linux (Ubuntu) and have been trying various Windows apps under Crossover Office. I haven't tried BTP yet because I'm not sure if it is against the license agreement. Since there is currently no Linux license it seems like it should be OK, but I thought I should ask first..
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Running BTP under Crossover Office in Ubuntu

Post by jeff »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:Jeff/Lathe,
I recently started playing around with Linux (Ubuntu) and have been trying various Windows apps under Crossover Office. I haven't tried BTP yet because I'm not sure if it is against the license agreement. Since there is currently no Linux license it seems like it should be OK, but I thought I should ask first..
Thanks for asking. I have no problem with it; let us know how it goes. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Bearymore

Post by Bearymore »

I'm running SUSE 10.3. with Crossover Office. I would really like to purchase a BTP license, but since I almost exclusively use Linux, I need to know whether the program will work before I buy it. I'm gathering from this thread that BTP 1.1 runs correctly under Crossover. Is this correct? Will 1.5 also run correctly under Crossover? Finally, I noticed the Linux poll and talk of a Linux version. Is there going to be one?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Bearymore wrote:I'm running SUSE 10.3. with Crossover Office. I would really like to purchase a BTP license, but since I almost exclusively use Linux, I need to know whether the program will work before I buy it. I'm gathering from this thread that BTP 1.1 runs correctly under Crossover. Is this correct? Will 1.5 also run correctly under Crossover? Finally, I noticed the Linux poll and talk of a Linux version. Is there going to be one?
1.1 is 1.5; we changed the version number before the beta test. 1.5 Linux is in beta test right now and will hopefully be released concurrently with Mac and Windows. As for Crossover, I don't know anything about it.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Bearymore

Post by Bearymore »

Crossover Office is an enhanced version of Wine, the Linux windows emulation software. So, if I take advantage of the e-mail offer I was sent and get the Windows version of 1.0 I can then upgrade to the Linux version when 1.5 (or 1.1) comes out?

Thanks.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Bearymore wrote:Crossover Office is an enhanced version of Wine, the Linux windows emulation software. So, if I take advantage of the e-mail offer I was sent and get the Windows version of 1.0 I can then upgrade to the Linux version when 1.5 (or 1.1) comes out?

Thanks.
I can tell you this: 1.0 -> 1.5 is a free upgrade, Windows -> Linux is also free. But I don't know for sure when BTP Linux will be released. It is running, and most of it works but there are one or two concerns with drag-n-drop. I will know more once I come up with a workaround for these issues.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Running BTP under Crossover Office in Ubuntu

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

jeff wrote:...let us know how it goes. Thanks!
OK, here are my experiences so far. I was not able to get any version to install so that I had an executable icon on my desktop. The BTP icon is on my desktop, but it is only a config file. BTP is the only program where this happened. I installed ProMash and Adobe Acrobat Reader and both work normally. In order to run BTP I navigate to the BTP folder, right click on the executable file and select 'Open with "run with CrossOver"'. Once BTP is open it runs fairly well, but there are a few thing that don't work properly, or fail to work at all. The following list is in no particular order, and there may be couple of things I can't think of right now. If I think of something else later I'll edit my post.

1. The feature to open a recent recipe file doesn't work. The list will populate with open recipes while BTP is running, but once BTP is closed and then reopened the list is blank.

2. When closing a recipe we're given the option to exit or start a new session. Selecting to start a new session causes the program to exit anyway.

3. Preferences (Ctrl +,) are not saved. Also, if the screen is resized the new size is not saved either. I have not tried to save a template, but saving a session as default does work.

4. Areas that are alternating colors, such as the ingredients area or databases, cause the cursor to disappear. I've found that moving into one of these areas and right clicking will bring the cursor back, but once the mouse is moved the cursor disappears again. So I right click to get the cursor and navigate with the up and down arrows. Curiously, the style database is not affected. The cursor and mouse work normally.

The above observations apply to versions 1.0.28 and earlier. Versions 1.029 and 1.5 don't work under Crossover Office. Version 1.5 won't load at all. The screen starts to build and then the program abruptly shuts down. Version 1.0.29 will load, but the top part of the screen where evaporation, efficiency, and batch size are is populated with erroneous data. Trying to input the correct values causes BTP to go into a loop. An error appears saying "Number not valid. Enter a number in decimal or fraction form.", and from there all you can do is exit. BTW, the title bar for the message is a string of question marks.

Other than these few minor annoyances BTP works OK and is usable. In the interest of fairness I should add that I'm a noob at both Linux and CrossOver Office as I have been using each for only about two weeks, so it's possible somethings are due to my inexperience.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
Bearymore

Post by Bearymore »

Crossover usually leaves a script file in your home/bin folder. I use Suse with KDE, but I can add an item to the KDE menu and point it to the script file which will run crossover and then the program. If you're using KDE, you can also right click on your desktop and choose "Create New" and then "Link to Application". Put the name of the script file in the application tab and you'll have an icon on your desktop. I'm sure Gnome has a similar process.

As to the other problems, they are issues with the application that probably need to be fixed by the programmer. It is conceivable that something could be manipulated in Crossover itself, but that is well beyond me.