Batch Sparging

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Beer Snob
Light Lager
Light Lager

Batch Sparging

Post by Beer Snob »

Hey there! I am playing around with the program now. I love the preset options in Mash. Makes life easier. Instead of a fly and I am trying to do a batch though. I see the collection..... runoff places... I know that these must have something to do with getting a batch to work right. Just need a little more direction in how to go about doing it.
tjthresh

Post by tjthresh »

I agree with this.
If I were to set the sparge amounts on the collection screen to zero, then it would seem to me that the run off amount should be total amount of wort in the mash tun minus absorption.

Also, when adding the infusion that brings the amount of wort in the mash ton up to half of the preboil volume (typicaly called a mash out), it should tall me somewhere how much usable wort I have int the mash ton. Not just how much water I've added to the mash.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Batch Sparging

Post by jeff »

Beer Snob wrote:Hey there! I am playing around with the program now. I love the preset options in Mash. Makes life easier. Instead of a fly and I am trying to do a batch though. I see the collection..... runoff places... I know that these must have something to do with getting a batch to work right. Just need a little more direction in how to go about doing it.
A batch sparge will involve several collection steps. To start your sparge, likely you will drain off your first runnings. To set this up add a 'Collect' step at the end of the schedule. Setting Sparge Volume to 0 and Residual Volume to 0 will simulate draining all of the extract. "Residual Volume" is leftover drainable wort, not absorbed wort. Click OK.

To perform another sparge, add another Collect step at the end of the schedule. This time if you set Sparge and Residual Volumes to 0 Runoff Volume will also be 0. So set the amoune of water you want to use for this step in Sparge Volume. If you then set Residual to 0, you will achieve the same amount of runoff as your sparge addition.

I hope this gives you a good start, let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Beer Snob wrote:I love the preset options in Mash. Makes life easier.
The presets list will definitely grow. If you have ideas for more preset schedules, please let me know. :idea:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
tjthresh

Post by tjthresh »

jeff wrote:
Beer Snob wrote:Hey there! I am playing around with the program now. I love the preset options in Mash. Makes life easier. Instead of a fly and I am trying to do a batch though. I see the collection..... runoff places... I know that these must have something to do with getting a batch to work right. Just need a little more direction in how to go about doing it.
A batch sparge will involve several collection steps. To start your sparge, likely you will drain off your first runnings. To set this up add a 'Collect' step at the end of the schedule. Setting Sparge Volume to 0 and Residual Volume to 0 will simulate draining all of the extract. "Residual Volume" is leftover drainable wort, not absorbed wort. Click OK.

To perform another sparge, add another Collect step at the end of the schedule. This time if you set Sparge and Residual Volumes to 0 Runoff Volume will also be 0. So set the amoune of water you want to use for this step in Sparge Volume. If you then set Residual to 0, you will achieve the same amount of runoff as your sparge addition.

I hope this gives you a good start, let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!
Residual Volume is not set up as a modifiable field. Or at least you cannot tab to it. But I did manage to get it set to zero. I did not result in completly draining my MLT. I think the problem is that you guys are displaying the volume including the grain each step of the way. Not really needed. What is needed is the volume of water minus absorption.

When it comes down to it, I think you need to give more information to do this effectively. I really have not idea how much usable wort is in the MLT at any given time without doing the math myself. That's kind of why I want software.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

tjthresh wrote:Residual Volume is not set up as a modifiable field. Or at least you cannot tab to it. But I did manage to get it set to zero. I did not result in completly draining my MLT. I think the problem is that you guys are displaying the volume including the grain each step of the way. Not really needed. What is needed is the volume of water minus absorption.

When it comes down to it, I think you need to give more information to do this effectively. I really have not idea how much usable wort is in the MLT at any given time without doing the math myself. That's kind of why I want software.
I will take a look at the residual volume field tabbing issue. Adding another column to the schedule list is currently planned for the next update too. It will display the useable wort. In the future, more information will be displayed in the schedule list such as notes.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff