Witbier extract or partial mash recipe without spice?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Witbier extract or partial mash recipe without spice?

Post by djavet »

Howdy form Switerland!

I'm seeking a witbier extract or partial-mash recipe without spices.
I wish a real wheat/cereal tang/savour.

Like a clone of "Blanche de Saisis" (IMH, the best white beer on earth):
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/635/9073

On the label, I can read: barley malt 60%, wheat not malted 40%, hops, water, yeast and NO SPICES!
Hier the front label. I dont have the ingredients label.

Any idea of recipes or path to complete?

A lot of thx for your help and time.
Regards, Dominique
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

No suggestion? :cry:

Dom
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

wit beer path

Post by Freon12 »

Greetings from the american basement.

I have an interest in wit beer and we actually have a beer developed by commitee here called beertools wit.
If the beer you seek has no spices, then I must say that the spice flavor must come from the unique yeast that was used. And giving a consideration to the fermentation tempreture of the beer. What I mean to say is that the tempreture may be abnormally high to get away with a wit without spices and come up with one that is not so sweet that your teeth would hurt.
For example, the hefe yeast offered by whitelabs takes on an increasing bannana flavor as the fermnetation tempreture increases.

Steve
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

Thx for your feedback. Interessting. I will searhc in this direction.
What about the malt and hop?

Regards, Dominique
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hops for wit

Post by Freon12 »

Hi,

Take a look at some of the recipes listd here on this site and notice that the hops are mild and low AA(German Noble). There is normally only one hop addition and it would be for 60min of the boil.

I would like to clarify if you think that there are no spices at all or no spices in the boil. You see, our recipe has spices in the mash also, which gave the beer an outstanding fresh flavor that was quite a bit smoother than boiling the orange peel and corriander alone.

As far as the grain bill, I would suggest white wheat and any 2 row malt, although some prefer the extra power of 6 row to deal with recipes with more than 50% of the grain being wheat. I would bet on this beer having acidulated malt also.

Steve
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Hops for wit

Post by djavet »

Hello

Thx for your help and advice. It's a good path to explore.
Freon12 wrote:I would bet on this beer having acidulated malt also.
Yes I thinks so too. What are the name or kind of for acidulated malt?
I know malt so good.

A lot of thx in advance.
Regards, Dominique
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Weyermann acidulated malt

Post by Freon12 »

Dom,

I wanted to know if you have hard water. PH above 7.0. I do and brewing a pale beer is an adventure with hard water. Food grade acid and adcidulated malt (if you are a purist) can lower the PH and also if used in quantity, add to the citris/sour notes described in your wit.

I use Weyermann in almost all types of grains but I would use any high grade availible like Muntons or Durst. Pretty much, the Germans own all of the top spots in beer.

I'm pretty sure you will have to send a case of it to me for furthern examination :wink:

Steve