Help! pitched yeat and no action in 24 hours!!!

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Hacky2447

Help! pitched yeat and no action in 24 hours!!!

Post by Hacky2447 »

ok.. so heres the problem other than the fact that i over hopped.. so i pitched the yeast.. It might have been over 75 degrees.. and it has been 24 hours and no action on the air lock.. useing a White labs irish ale yeast..
Should i buy another yeat pack and pitch agian? or leave it for a few days and see what happens? frementing in a white food grade bucket so i can't see whats going on... Lesson learned need carboy.. any suggestions?!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Help! pitched yeat and no action in 24 hours!!!

Post by jeff »

Hacky2447 wrote:ok.. so heres the problem other than the fact that i over hopped.. so i pitched the yeast.. It might have been over 75 degrees.. and it has been 24 hours and no action on the air lock.. useing a White labs irish ale yeast..
Should i buy another yeat pack and pitch agian? or leave it for a few days and see what happens? frementing in a white food grade bucket so i can't see whats going on... Lesson learned need carboy.. any suggestions?!
Don't panic! There are a few things that may be going on here. First, did you create a starter with your yeast? If you didn't it will take longer for the yeast to show visible signs of activity. Second, if you are using a bucket fermenter, the lid sometimes doesn't seal completely and pressure can escape from the rim before it forces bubbles through the airlock. When the yeast really kicks in you will see activity through the airlock too. Don't worry about contamination though, because the positive pressure inside the fermenter will prevent backflow under the rim of the fermenter.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Hacky2447

re:

Post by Hacky2447 »

Ok.. well here is the latest.. I made sure when i put the lid on it that it was completely sealed. now... The bad news is that it is still over hopped.. really really bitter.. i am hopeing that with the fermentation it will tone it down a bit.. cause.. whoa! It is like IPA hoppy.. yikes.. for an amber it is really really bitter.. lmao. ok.. anyway..

I used a white labs irish ale yeast that was in a pitchable tube, like those test tube things.. i shook it up and let it sit for about 4 hours or so before i pitched it.. The air lock is finally going, there is a bubble every 2 seconds.. i am wondering how long the fermentation process is actually going to take.. we will see though.. thanks for the reply.. i guess i just went into a panic too soon.. sorry
Hacky2447

RE

Post by Hacky2447 »

now, after the 48 hours of rapid activity, it has no bubbles going on.. so i am going to let it go for about 2 weeks and check the gravity.. i am at a loss and have no clue what could be going on.. ugh.. frustrating. i really need to get a carboy.

Update: checked the status of the beer, it has a froth on the top.. very small amount and it looks like a layer of yeast in a ring around the top.. It also smelled like beer. After re-sealing the top of the bucket it now blurps a big bubble once a min or so.. So i am happy with it and going to let it go. Hopefully i will not be too dissapointed with the outome..