Volume adjustments and mash volume comfusion.

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
valorian_13

Volume adjustments and mash volume comfusion.

Post by valorian_13 »

Well it's been a while since I've been able to lok over the new features. I just downloaded version 0.9.20. I have to say I'm impressed. This program has come a long way since it was first started. good job everyone.

One thing I did notice. Under the presets for Volume Adjustments, there is no adjustment for wort cooling. You will loose about 4% of you volume due to shrinkage during the cooling stage. It's easy enough to just add it in but soem people may not know they will need to add this in.

Also, I'm confused about the mash-in volume. In the mash in windows it shows 5.31 gallons and it also shows this volume in the printout. But, in the main screen it shows 6.84 gallons on the mash-in line. I've attached a screen shot showing this. Why are there two volumes?

PC, Intel Pentium 2.8 Ghz, Windows XP SP1, 512MB RAM, 30GB hard drive.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Volume adjustments and mash volume comfusion.

Post by jeff »

valorian_13 wrote:One thing I did notice. Under the presets for Volume Adjustments, there is no adjustment for wort cooling. You will loose about 4% of you volume due to shrinkage during the cooling stage. It's easy enough to just add it in but soem people may not know they will need to add this in.
Wort cooling is calculated automatically. You will notice in your example that the kettle volume is 5.79 and evaporation loss is 0.75. Subtracting evaporation loss from kettle volume equals 5.04 but the final volume given is 4.83 instead of 5.04. 4.83 is roughly 96% of 5.04.
valorian_13 wrote:Also, I'm confused about the mash-in volume. In the mash in windows it shows 5.31 gallons and it also shows this volume in the printout. But, in the main screen it shows 6.84 gallons on the mash-in line. I've attached a screen shot showing this. Why are there two volumes?
The volume given in the schedule list is higher because the volume of the added grain is factored in. The liquor volume in the editor is the volume of the water only.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks..

Post by jeff »

Thanks for the screenshot, that helps! Glad you are getting some use out of the program. :D
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
valorian_13

Post by valorian_13 »

ok. That clears that up.

After I posted this I got to working some more with this. In the sparge section, the amount collected doen't match the Kettle Volume in the main screen. Should it? Sorry no screen shot of this.
PC, Intel Pentium 2.8 Ghz, Windows XP SP1, 512MB RAM, 30GB hard drive.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

valorian_13 wrote:In the sparge section, the amount collected doen't match the Kettle Volume in the main screen. Should it?
The schedule step volumes are independent from the session volumes. Once you know your runoff volume, you can go back and adjust your kettle volume if necessary. Or you can collect only as much runoff as you have specified as your kettle volume. Either way, it is the responsibility of the author to line up these values. This method requires an extra step, but also creates more flexibility.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff