SBT#3

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

SBT#3

Post by bredmakr »

This may not seem like a secret tip but it is a good one. Before you start brewing make a recipe form. At the top of the recipe note the date and those present for the event and a name for your latest brew. Then list all ingredients to be used followed by a step by step bullet list of what you are going to do and when you are going to do it. This way everything is written down before you spend the next 3-6 hours drinking homebrew with a buddy. I have found that this has improved my ability to reproduce recipes as a direct result of more legible notes. If I decide to change something all I do is scratch out the amount or time of the addition. It is much easier for me to write numbers than letters after 3 or 4 16oz IPAs. Another key to go along with the list would be a timer. I find that a list made before I begin allows me more time to do what one is supposed to do while brewing.....RELAX!
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

V-Tape

Post by andytv »

Good Idea, we have been burned once or twice due to lack of organization (coupled with alcohol enhanced confusion) during brewdays. As far as keeping good notes, we are considering videotaping or audio taping brew sessions. Not only would you be able to review any modifications to the recipe, you can laugh at all the stupid things that happen when you get 3-4 drunks in a kitchen with a mission. Who knows, we may even generate "funniest home video mat'l".