Sterilizing After Finding Mildew in Bottling Bucket

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

scorriga
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sterilizing After Finding Mildew in Bottling Bucket

Post by scorriga »

I just pulled my bottling bucket out of storage, and it appears it still had some moisture in it when I put it away after the last use--I found some mildew growing in the bottom. I normally use an iodophor sanitizer, but figured I should mix up a bleach solution this time to ensure the mildew is killed off. I put in 1 tablespoon of bleach for 5 gallons of water and planned to let it sit for 24 hours. Does anyone have any input on whether or not this will do the trick?

On the one hand I don't want to throw out an otherwise perfectly good bucket out of paranoia, but on the other hand I don't want to risk contaminating the next batch of beer that I bottle.

Thanks,
Sean
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

The bleach should break it down, but I'm not sure of the contact time required. I think I would use some soap and a soft rag to wipe it out, rinse good, then follow it up with your bleach soak. Afterwards, rinse good again and it should be fine to sanitize at that point.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I agree

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Give the bucket a good wash with warm soap and water insuring that you don't scratch the bucket, rinse in hot water and then use your bleach solution. Use cold water with the bleach with a contact time of approx 20 minutes and you should be back in business.

James