Mash Hops + Promash Import

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Doc

Mash Hops + Promash Import

Post by Doc »

When I specify Mash Hops in the latest version it comes up as Dry Hops in the Boil Column. The % looks roughly correct in the Proportion column.

Please also tell me that Promash import will be coming back, as all my recipes are in Promash format and if I can't convert them then ......

Doc
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

ProMash

Post by lathe »

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the info. I'll let Jeff handle the 1st part. As for Pro Mash Import...Simply open them from the application. Should work fine for you. Let us know if there are any issues associated with that.

We really apprciate your feedback! PLEASE spread the word to other Beta testers (esp any from the southern hemisphere...because brewing season hasn't kicked in up north yet) We need testers to tell us what should be adjusted so we can stay on schedule for release.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
Doc

Post by Doc »

I did the File Open Promash thing, and it opened the recipe. However the analysis of the recipe is all screwed up as per my other post.
I'm guessing that is why it was removed from the Import menu in the last release.
We have a topic on AussieHomeBrewer for it here so there are a number of testers here in Oz.

Beers,
Doc
Doc

Re: Mash Hops + Promash Import

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote:When I specify Mash Hops in the latest version it comes up as Dry Hops in the Boil Column. The % looks roughly correct in the Proportion column.

Please also tell me that Promash import will be coming back, as all my recipes are in Promash format and if I can't convert them then ......

Doc
In the latest version .19 when I select Mash Hops it doesn't register any bitterness level.
When I select First Wort Hops it lets me specify how many minutes I wish to use as the calc.
Is it possible to have the Mash Hops field to specify number of minutes to register bitterness, like FWH.
Also is it possible to have FWH and MWH default to a time that is accepted as the bitterness contribution for FWH and MWH (eg. MHW as 40min boil and FWH as if they were 20min boil).

Doc
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Mash Hops + Promash Import

Post by jeff »

Doc wrote:
Doc wrote:When I specify Mash Hops in the latest version it comes up as Dry Hops in the Boil Column. The % looks roughly correct in the Proportion column.

Doc
In the latest version .19 when I select Mash Hops it doesn't register any bitterness level.
When I select First Wort Hops it lets me specify how many minutes I wish to use as the calc.
Is it possible to have the Mash Hops field to specify number of minutes to register bitterness, like FWH.
Also is it possible to have FWH and MWH default to a time that is accepted as the bitterness contribution for FWH and MWH (eg. MHW as 40min boil and FWH as if they were 20min boil).

Doc
Is there a way to substantiate what proportion of alpha acids make it into the extract to be isomerized during boiling? Do you have some data for mash hopping?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Doc

Post by Doc »

That is the big debate.
I guess because not a lot of quantitative work has been done on it, and it is also reliant on other variables such as the gravity, pH etc of the wort.

Promash uses the following defaults (which you can tune to what you believe is right for you)
Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: -10 %
Additional Utilization Used For Mash Hoppings: -30 %

Beersmith uses the following defaults
First Wort Hop - The default setting is a 10% addition to bitterness.
Mash Hop - The default adjustment calculates mash hops as having 80% less utilization (-80%) than boiling hops the equivalent time.

Personally I've always used the defaults, as I find that calculated bitterness over perceived bitterness are two complete different things especially when dealing with MWH. I've made many beers that are up in the 200IBU range, and we know that preceived bitterness over 100 odd IBU's is not really relevant.

Beers,
Doc

Beers,
Doc
Doc

Post by Doc »

notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by notbob »

I was wondering the same thing about the FWH. I'm trying to do an experimental beer using hopburst method and FWH. I just made my FWH addition a 20 min. boil time. I don't if that will accurately reflect what's really going on, though.

I couldn't get your link to open, Doc.. :(
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hey Notbob,

Just tried the link and it worked for me. Took a few seconds for the server to respond initially, but it came through.

Doc
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by notbob »

Thanks Doc, it came through this time. I'm gonna read it. I may be brewing today and I want to do a FWH and additions after 30 min, but no 60 min.

Have you come up with a good way to portray this in BTP?

Al
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I've been setting FWH then adjusting boil time to 20 minutes. This seems to work.
There is argument if FWH are equivalent to 20 or 30' add'ns, but a lot of this probably has to do with percieved bittterness from different hop types and the more balanced nature of the FWH bitterness, as far as I can tell.
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

My FWH recipe..

Post by notbob »

I treated it as a 20 min addition. It came out nice. No 60 min addition. Nice smooth bitterness. I'd say for now the 20 min thing seems to work pretty close.