BeerTools Pro Schedule Tools

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

BeerTools Pro Schedule Tools

Post by jeff »

Please use this topic to post questions, comments and discussion on the mash schedule features of BeerTools Pro. Thanks!
Last edited by jeff on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Getting started with the mash schedule.

Post by jeff »

If you haven't found it already, the mash schedule is displayed by accessing it in the "Display" mode popup menu. The same menu used to display various ingredient types, brewing equipment and packaging. The graph for the mash schedule is displayed under the "Schedule" tab in the lower portion of the session window.

A few guidelines:
  • Schedule steps are added by choosing the type of step to add from the "New" button
    The "Mash In" step must always exist and must always be the first step in the list for the schedule to calculate correctly
    The list is displayed in chronological order
    When both the schedule list and schedule tab are showing, clicking on a step in one will select the corresponding step in the other
    Control-clicking (RMB in Windows) on the schedule list allows access to common functions
    Any changes made to ingredients and brewing equipment after a schedule is built are reflected in the schedule automatically
Hopefully that is enough to get you started. Please post any questions or comments under this topic, thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
bergerandfries

Post by bergerandfries »

Well, I love to go first, so here goes!

I think that I need to add a vessel as well as a schedule in order to get the thermal properties to play out just right, only question is how do I arrive at those numbers? I'm sure by the time this is GA, the Coleman Extreme, Igloo IceCube, and 100 other coolers will have known values and people won't have to scratch around for these numbers. In my current program, my cooler has a thermal mass of 5.51 pounds. Not sure how this applies to BTP, so I think I'll have to play around to figure this out for my cooler. A nice feature is the tool that helps you arrive at these figures, just have to get off my can and go do it.

As for the schedule tool, it's a little confusing on how I would set it up for batch sparging instead of on-the-fly or continuous sparging. I have a mash in, a sacc rest of 60 min, an infusion, a transfer?, another infusion, another transfer? Seems like I shouldn't be using the transfer, but the collect step seems only set up for fly sparging?

Then the Schedule tool at the bottom of the screen shows Green, orange, blue, grey and stays grey. Doesn't show any graphics...
Dell Latitude CPx H500GT x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~497 Mhz with 128MB RAM, Windows 2000 Pro 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195 with all hotfixes applied automatically, 9.3G HD, 1024x768 built in flat pannel display.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Batch sparge

Post by jeff »

I think for now you can think of the sparge collectively if you are doing batch sparging. The sparge and runoff rates are not flow rates so these need not be limited to fly-sparging. They simply indicate the ratio of sparge water and runoff volume to each unit of grist in the mash.

Until there is a batch sparge step separated out as a choice, just total all of your sparge stages and set your residual to 0 if you allow a complete drain at the end. BTP attempts to predict how much volume is absorbed by the grain so setting residual to 0 indicates completely draining available extract.

As for the graphics, I'm not sure what is going on there. It is sometimes difficult to get the graphics running right on Windows when developing on the Mac. Like the other graphics issues that came up earlier in the program, we will get these right too.

Hope this helps!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Decoction

Post by kabbo »

Hello, this is a great tool, I just started exploring a little but wasn't able to create a decoction schedule like I wanted to do.

For the Mash-In step it is ok. But for decoction, I can't find a way to do a multi-step decoction like this one:

Take 1/3, heat to 160F and rest 20 mins
Bring to boil, boil 15 mins and add back to total mash.
and so on...

I didn't find any way for that kind of step. Please tell me if there is a way.

thanks a lot !
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Multi-step decoction

Post by jeff »

Currently BTP supports basic decoction, and will have more options in time. Is the schedule you mentioned typical of your process?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

I'm having a really hard time understanding the heat transfer coefficient and heat capacity. I've read a few articles on it and it's still a mystery to me. Any chance the documentation will include specifics on how to formulate those numbers based on one's equipment? I really want to start using the mash schedule util. but until I figure these out I can't really use it.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Docs

Post by jeff »

Yes, there will be docs. You can use the mash features even without equipment configured. You will just have to manually set your heat times, and the final temperatures after rests. BTP will handle the rest. :wink:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Docs

Post by TCBrewguy »

jeff wrote:Yes, there will be docs. You can use the mash features even without equipment configured. You will just have to manually set your heat times, and the final temperatures after rests. BTP will handle the rest. :wink:
Cool!
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
andrewqld
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by andrewqld »

I have noticed in the mash schedule you show mash volume which includes the grain. It would be handy to have a field showing the amount of litres that will come out of this mash volume when it is completely drained.

In other words my mash technique is to mash in 3litre to the kilo and then a single batch sparge to bring me up to 29lt in the kettle. As the mash schedule stands now I have to work out the grain absorbtion myself and then work back to the amounts in the kettle.
Hope that makes sense

Cheers
Andrew
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Collect step

Post by jeff »

andrewqld wrote:I have noticed in the mash schedule you show mash volume which includes the grain. It would be handy to have a field showing the amount of litres that will come out of this mash volume when it is completely drained.

In other words my mash technique is to mash in 3litre to the kilo and then a single batch sparge to bring me up to 29lt in the kettle. As the mash schedule stands now I have to work out the grain absorbtion myself and then work back to the amounts in the kettle.
Hope that makes sense
The resulting volume after adding a 'Collect' step reflects volume without the grain. The 'Collect' editor window has a 'Runoff' field and a 'Residual' field. 'Residual' is the amount of available volume after absorption by the grain. If 'Residual' is 0 then all of the 'Runoff' has been collected (given you don't have a stuck runoff). Does this help?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
andrewqld
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by andrewqld »

Thanks Jeff, I will look at it today.

Cheers
Andrew
JoshMarquart
Light Lager
Light Lager

Batch Sparge

Post by JoshMarquart »

I'm having trouble following your batch sparge instructions. Here are the things I'm trying to accomplish...

2 sparges in my batch sparge
Each should produce about the same amount of runoff.
Some liquid would be absorbed by the grains and maybe some in my cooler since I am lazy and don't tip it to get every last drop.

How would I enter this? Is there a "batch sparge" step forthcoming? That would be awesome.
iMac - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OS X 10.5.2
JoshMarquart
Light Lager
Light Lager

Couple odds & ends

Post by JoshMarquart »

I chose US $ as the default but when I am entering costs for grains, it still defaults to blank and I must chose US$.

Couple missing ingredients...
SafAle's US-56 dry yeast
Rice Hulls
iMac - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OS X 10.5.2
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Couple odds & ends

Post by jeff »

JoshMarquart wrote:I chose US $ as the default but when I am entering costs for grains, it still defaults to blank and I must chose US$.
When you create a new grain (not edit), what currency does the editor default to?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff