Sour Mash?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

flavaham
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sour Mash?

Post by flavaham »

I saw a recipe in BYO recently that called for a small sour mash. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if you can offer some advice on how to do it. I think they mashed a small amount (a pint or so) a few days before they did the whole batch. It was a wheat beer so I assume it was quite important in the overall taste of the beer. If it is done a few days in advance, how should I store it? Can I just steep some grains and add it to the complete mash? I'm so confused... :lol:
Any help would be great! I brew 6 gallon batches (if that matters to you).
Thanks!
-g
"Beer, the cause of and solution to all the world's problems..."
-Homer Simpson
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sour Mash

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Before I begin, I want to state for the record that I have never tried it, but I have read where you make a small batch and leave it open to wild yeast where it will sour for a few days before brew day. Then add it to your normal boil. I on the other hand use acid malt in the batch which gives somewhat the same flavor.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

I haven't performed a sour mash either. But from what I remember reading you want the lactobacillus, resident on the grain, to do the work. They are anaerobic, so you don't want the sour mash exposed to air. Seal the mash tun with Saran wrap or similar and let it sit undisturbed. I believe 12-24 hours should be enough. It'll smell putrid though, so watch out. Sparge the runnings of this and combine in your boil pot with the runnings from your main mash. The boil will terminate any continued lactobacillus activity. That's the basic process.

Again, I don't claim to be a sour masher, I just slept in a Holiday Inn Express :D