Lagering a Belgian Blonde Ale in the Secondary?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

Lagering a Belgian Blonde Ale in the Secondary?

Post by cleone »

Just brewed a Duvel clone (90% Belgian Pils, 10% CaraPils, 1.25 lbs Dextrose) and racked to primary. I was just reading BYO mag's article on Belgian Blondes. I understand that this style is normally lagered for a month in the secondary at around freezing.

Does anyone have experience with the style? I am trying to determine if I really need to go out and buy a lagering refrig for this one or can I just age in the secondary at room temp.

Other than clarity, will there really be significant improvements in taste, etc. by lagering?

Thanks in advance.
cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

Since no one replied to this one, I will

Post by cleone »

Turns out that the lagering is performed for clarifying the brew.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Duval is it?

Post by Freon12 »

C,

Due to this beastly new forum format, replys are now at the speed of the US snail mail, and harder to find. :roll: How about 7 months later.......

I have recultred Duval from a bottle. My fear was that they bottled with a different yeast than the true Duval yeast. It was.

I finally got some true Duval and Turns out that this yeast is tough and to knock it out, the freezing tempretures are used to stun the yeast out of suspension and is similar to the Belgian or what I call Fruity Helles. To lower the fruity tones for lager yeast, lower the fermentation tempreture to 54f. This is where lager yeast is comfortable and keeps them from producing esters not welcome in lager beer.
I don't think that it makes any taste differance at all between 54f and using near freezing temps at the end. I droped the beer clear by storing it in a Korni for three months at 40f.

I'll try any beer once, but I think Duval is too high in abv to be good all the time.

S
cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

Wow, good to know someone is out there . . .

Post by cleone »

Freon12,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot about about this post, but it is actually timely since I have another batch of this recipe lagering as we speak.

You know, a flemish friend of mine turn me onto Duval during one of my first visits to Belgium. Since formulating and tasting my own variant recipe:

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=5705

I tend to agree with you regarding Duval's viability as a repeat beer choice. I decided to reduce the saaz levels some and use WYeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale instead of a Scottish Ale variant. I really wanted an ale that displayed more fruity ester notes--something that I have found missing in Duval. What I have come up with is an ale that sits somewhere between Duval and Orval.

I know taste is subjective, but I think I have found the right balance for my taste . . .

Thanks

BTW: Not sure if you have tried Urthel Samaranth. At 11%+ APV and near lager clarity and drinkability, it has really changed my expectations of what a high APV ale can offer. Kinda reminds me of a higher gravity Marzen . . .
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Imperial talk

Post by Freon12 »

C,

I do imbibe when it comes to the Decembeer. (clever spelling) A Russian Imperial made for winter at 13% tastes just like an alcoholic chocolate covered cherry mmmmmm.......... Face warming goodness.

I don't have the link handy, but I have one recipe and there are several around here also. It takes a 10 gallon system to make five for this beer so watch out.

By the by, There are more beer geeks on this forum that you can shake a stick at, just remember, the sweeky wheel gets the grease.

Love those hillbilly metphours.

Steve