Brewing newbie, got a question

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row, wottaguy

Brewing newbie, got a question

Postby kennyan » Mon May 15, 2006 9:54 am

Hey guys,

I've been reading your forum for the past couple days and from what i can tell, most people outgrow their brewing "kits" after a few brews. I have about $200-$250 that i can put towards a good setup. I found this kit:

http://www.beer-wine.com/product_info.a ... ectionID=1

But from what ive read here, most people like a 6.5 gallon Glass carboy instead. And ive read to stay away from teh aluminum 5 gallon pots and grab a nice 10 gallon stainless steel one instead. Any insight would be great! ill keep reading through posts and will look forward to hearing from you all!

Thanks,

Adam
kennyan

Don't get too technical

Postby brewmeisterintng » Mon May 15, 2006 10:34 pm

Brewing is as much an art as a science. Read all you can and note the common practices amongst all brewers. Yes, most prefer glass 6 to 6.5 gallon carboys as they last forever with proper care and they allow for crousen. I have been brewing with an aluminum turkey deep fryer for a few years now with no ill effects or off flavors. The "kits" don't always have what you need. I have yet to see one with an auto syphon or a wine thief. Sure in the long run it may cost you a few extra dollars to get set up but you will have the equipment you want and not what they want you to have. Remember that this is a hobby and you will be drinking up any profits. :lol:
If you are unsure about a specific item... write and ask us guys. We will be glad to give you our input.
-James-
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby PasoSpec5 » Sun May 21, 2006 2:22 am

I am new to this but maybe this will help.

Heres where I went. http://www.docscellar.com/ Its about 20 mins from my house but he does mail order. I got the Deluxe Kit with a recipe kit for Negra Mexican for 193 bucks even. Its got everything, brew pot and bottles. I couldnt find it better anywhere. George is really cool and knowledgeable too.

My first brew day is tomoorow. I cant wait.

Hope this helps
PasoSpec5

Postby kingfisher2 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Old kegs make good brew pots (but thats stealing :shock: ) Also, befriend a welder ... :) and learn to sweat a joint.. :idea: lots 'o luck!!
kingfisher2

Postby brewer13210 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:14 pm

Indeed, used kegs can make great brew pots, but like the previous poster noted, buying a keg of beer and paying the deposit is stealing; the deposit does not pay the brewer the price of replacing a keg.

However there are plenty of companies out there that sell used kegs and converted kegs. Sabco comes to mind (they have a web site you can google for). They're a bit pricy, but you can brew with a clear conscience.

Todd
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Return to General