Still bubbling

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Radler
Light Lager
Light Lager

Still bubbling

Post by Radler »

I made a wit with Wyeast's wit yeast. It's been in secondary for 2.5 weeks now and there is still a healthy head in there with tiny bubbles coming up from all over non stop. When should this stop? Is it a sign of something bad? Most importantly, so I need to wait for it to stop before I try bottling? These may be stupid question but in all that I have brewed before I have never seen this. Thanks.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Stop Worrying

Post by brewmeisterintng »

No two fermentations are exactly alike. As long as you had proper sanitization procedures, pitched enough viable yeast, in a temperature suited for the yeast you should have nothing to worry about. Too many times brewers don't take the time to make a yeast starter resulting in under pitching which results in a slower longer fermentation like you are describing. This may result in you FG being higher than expected. If this occurs cut the amount of priming sugar to approx 1/2 cup to prevent over carbonation.
Don't rush the batch. You can let it sit for a month with little to no ill effects in the secondary.

Regards

James