BeerTools Pro Software (Public Beta)

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

markdouglas

BeerTools Pro Software (Public Beta)

Post by markdouglas »

so where is it?
PC AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz / 1MB L2 cache - 2GB DDR-400MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1GB) - 500GB RAID 0 (2 x 250GB SATA HDDs) - 1280x1204 display - Windows XP up to date as of 04/05/06
wombatau

Post by wombatau »

hear, hear; i second that question.

and further, why is the beta only available to gold members? as a programmer, i'm more than happy to work the bugs out in someone else's program, for the privelledge of using the program. but it strikes me as odd that the beta testing of beertools pro is exclusively for gold members.

what i usually see with beta software, speaking closed source of course, is an expiry built in to the program. under mac os x, it's very easy to make watertight expiries. the whole idea behind beta testing is so that by the time you're ready for a stable final release, your software will be as slick as possible and leave a lasting good impression.

just my 2 cents though.

regards,
adam poole
developer and wwdc2005 attendee
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Limited?

Post by jeff »

wombatau wrote:hear, hear; i second that question.

and further, why is the beta only available to gold members? as a programmer, i'm more than happy to work the bugs out in someone else's program, for the privelledge of using the program. but it strikes me as odd that the beta testing of beertools pro is exclusively for gold members.

what i usually see with beta software, speaking closed source of course, is an expiry built in to the program. under mac os x, it's very easy to make watertight expiries. the whole idea behind beta testing is so that by the time you're ready for a stable final release, your software will be as slick as possible and leave a lasting good impression.

just my 2 cents though.

regards,
adam poole
developer and wwdc2005 attendee
May I ask where you saw it stated that the BeerTools Pro Beta is limited to GOLD members?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wombatau

Post by wombatau »

funny, the post seems to be deleted. but if you do the following search with google:

"we take care of our GOLD members" site:beertools.com

you will find the following (in google's cache):

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:_ph ... ent=safari

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:IRV ... ent=safari

lathe made the post on wed feb 8, 2006 at 9:13am. it doesn't seem to appear in his profile here though for some reason.

-adam
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

wombatau wrote:funny, the post seems to be deleted. but if you do the following search with google:

"we take care of our GOLD members" site:beertools.com

you will find the following (in google's cache):

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:_ph ... ent=safari

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:IRV ... ent=safari

lathe made the post on wed feb 8, 2006 at 9:13am. it doesn't seem to appear in his profile here though for some reason.

-adam
The post the link points to is a response to a GOLD member asking if he will receive a discount on the official release of BeerTools Pro. The beta program contains both GOLD members and trial members and the private BeerTools Pro forum is used to communicate with other members of the beta program team. Google indexed the forum before the program began and before the forum was made private. Hope this clears things up, thanks for the links!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wombatau

Post by wombatau »

i read it when it was written in feb. i seemed to remember someone asked where the beta was and who it was going to be released to and lathe replied with something a little vague along the lines of "we take care of our gold members".

also, i remember being confronted with the "you must be a gold member to do this" thing when i tried to sign up for the beta testing. might have been my error, but did anyone else have a similar problem?

anyone here doing the beta testing that isn't a gold member?

-adam
Dakbrew

ME

Post by Dakbrew »

Im not a gold member. and I'm in the bata groop. and I would have too guess from the posts in the bata fourm that most of the active people are not gold members!!
Sony VAIO Intel P4, 3.4 GHz, 1.0 GB RAM, Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2, 17 in flat panel mointor 1280 X 1024
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Not a gold member when

Post by Bob57702 »

I wasn't a Gold member when I signed up for the Beta. I am now but not when I joined the Beta. I, too, am a programmer and although I can't put the time to the Beta like I would like to it is fun to contribute when I can and watch the progress of the software.
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
Bluesssman
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bluesssman »

I tried the beta "beer tools pro" and really like it. I would like to purchase it. Where can I find it to purchase?

Thanks, Gary