Fining Agents

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fining Agents

Post by dartedplus »

I could not find my irish moss while I was brewing, so is there something I can add to the beer/wort now, maybe when I rack it, that will aid in clearing it out??
Its going to end up being a little cloudy anyhow because I used some brown rice to give it a nutty flavor, but it did not completely change. Who cares, people will think its a wheat!!!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Gelatin, isinglass

Post by Freon12 »

You can use Gelatin, isinglass or polyclar if you what clearer beer. I prefer to crash cool the yeast out or filter it out. Depends on what you want to get rid of, chill haze or yeast or both. There is a debate about clearing lager yeast with Gelatin. I don't mind a beer that isn't clear if it tastes good, who cares. Plus isinglass is fish guts, Yuk!
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks

Post by dartedplus »

Thanks for the info. It appears, by looking at my beer today, that I was just overly concerned. The "stuff" has all but precipitated to the bottom and now it looks like it is supposed to. Also, I checked out my "Bible" (papazian) , and it appears that the isinglas is rather tedious to use. I would have guessed that I had alot of proteins floating around and from his descriptions, one of the best things to use, aside from irish moss during the boil, is activated silica gel. but apparently that is very hard for us homebrewers to get. Have a great day.
GO STEELERS!!!!!! Ed
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Isinglas Useage...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

If you get it in it's liquified, pre-acidulated form it is VERY easy to use. Simply pour it in the secondary prior to racking over from the primary. To really make it effective, chill the beer as close to freezing as possible.

I assume by your Steelers tag you may be close to Pittsburgh ? If so, go to Country Wines, they have pre-prepared bottles of it for 5 gallon batches from LD Carlson. It is also readily available in this form by mail order.

When Charlie's book was written (depends on version) this form was not available, so therefore, he dealt with the topic of dried isenglas flaked products which needed to be re-hydrated and acidulated (which he didn't detail!), yes, was a pain in the !@# !

At my brewery, I have used Saville's Magicol 250, which is a pre-acidulated powder that worked pretty well, but must be kept cool when you mix it and takes a long time to prepare. The reason I tried it was because it has a greatly longer shelf life than the liquid form. Not being completly satisfied with the results and the extra effort, I tried Seville's Caskaleer (designed for cask brightening) which is in a paste form, and got much better results. But it is EXPENSIVE. Stick with the liquid form if you decide to try it.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks Mesa...

Post by dartedplus »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm not close to Pittsbutgh right now. I grew up in PA but right now I'm in Albany NY. Too bad for the Steelers, they played a !@#$ game. As far as the isinglas goes, I dont feel that I need it now. When I racked to my secondary it was very cloudy with alot of particulates hanging in the wort. But after a day it settled out very well. I should know that by now, but I had used some rice which did not fully convert and thought that I would have a lot of proteins in suspension. But if it did not convert, then they wouldn't be proteins anyhow, it would still be starch. It cleared though, so nproblem solved. If ever I should need the stuff, I'll know that I can find it readily. I have a very good HB store locally that, if he doesn't have something, he'll order it for me. Or for that matter I can just order it online myself. It seems like you only visit once in a while, as your posts all come in a burst. But then you probably don't have a lot of time on your hands with a brewery to run. Have a great day!!! Ed