User Manual

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

User Manual

Post by lathe »

What topics do you want to see covered?

How in depth should it be?
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: User Manual

Post by notbob »

lathe wrote:What topics do you want to see covered?

How in depth should it be?
I think for now, if you (the authors) could just outline how you would approach setting up a session for a given style. Like, step by step, and just stipulate if the step is critical, optional, or only needed in a more advanced situation where you want maximum control.

I posted some notes on this in one of the other topics....can't remember which.. :roll:

For now just a step by step, without so much in depth. It would also create an outline for making a help guide at a later date.

Al
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Manual topics

Post by TCBrewguy »

I think that the more 'scientific' parts of the program need to be discussed. i.e. utilization algorithms and how they affect the stats, equipment data (heat capacity & heat transfer coefficient as well as their measurement units are pretty Greek to me), etc.

Most of the basic functions of the program are relatively self-explanatory for me - I guess it's the more in-depth stuff that I think should be covered.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
jawsfree
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jawsfree »

I think it should have both a broad view and detailed view. What I mean to say is there should be a description/definition of everything under the Session and Database tabs also needs very detailed for the utilzation algorithm section. sorry but I get lost in this part, not the sharpest knife in the drawer you know. :D
AMD Phenom IIX4 830 Processor 2.80 GHz
6.00 GB RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
64-bit Operating System
erichonour
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by erichonour »

You might consider splitting the manual into two or more sections/documents, with a short "Getting Started" approach that orients a brewer quickly -- and might be all an experienced brewer needs to start using the software -- and a more in-depth manual that not only explains each of the features in detail, but also makes at least some general suggestions about how to use those features.

For instance, I think it's excellent to include multiple IBU calculation methods. However, I think it would be even better to incorporate some information about which of those methods are most widely used, most appropriate for different brewing situations, or even most recommended for general use. I understand that there isn't always a RIGHT answer, but some discussion of the possibilities would be good. Perhaps also include some bibliography to point the interested brewer to sources with more detail.

EH

BTW, I've got a background as a technical editor and scholar (I'm a professor). I'd be happy to be one of the proofreaders of this document, if you need an extra set of eyes.
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by Bob57702 »

erichonour wrote:You might consider splitting the manual into two or more sections/documents, with a short "Getting Started" approach that orients a brewer quickly -- and might be all an experienced brewer needs to start using the software -- and a more in-depth manual that not only explains each of the features in detail, but also makes at least some general suggestions about how to use those features.
I agree that the multiple section approach would be ideal. Maybe breaking it down into "Getting Started", "Beginner", "Intermediate", and "Experienced/Expert". I suppose that you would want to concentrate your efforts in the "Getting Started" section and the section for your primary target audience. As a beginner myself I have enough to deal with just trying to keep all of the terms and basic concepts straight let alone utilization curves, IBU calculations, and the multitude of other considerations an expert full-grain brewer thinks about. You probably don't want to write a book on everything about brewing calculations/science. Although it sure would be a nice bonus to the software and I probably would be able to eventually get to those exulted levels of brewing with it.

Anyhow, do you currently have an idea on what you may be doing?
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Sounds good.

Post by lathe »

Thanks Gang,

I imagine the documentation will grow in scope over time. Keep your ideas coming...very much appreciated.

Lathe
Last edited by lathe on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Documentation

Post by lathe »

Here is a link to the documentation topic:
http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by notbob »

I'm really enjoying the documentation section!! I'm just getting the chance to brew again after being off all summer. It's really a big help having that info to help me get oriented. It's starting to make better sense now. I like BTP a lot now. It's gonna take me a bit to get things really dialed in, but at least I have help now!

Great work!
stevie.o
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by stevie.o »

I too think the formate of the multiple section approach would be ideal.
Maybe breaking it down into "Getting Started", "Beginner", "Intermediate", and "Experienced/Expert".

I have been an Extract/Steeping Brewer for 3 years. Never got ProMash Running
~Cause it looks like more than I needed..... I've been slowly building up my
equipment to go All Grain this winter so now I'm really looking for the
Software help. Thanks for the Mac Software !!

I think you could do a demo in the User Guide. Start out with something easy.
Like a American Ale - do the demo using extract only - show all those tools
Follow the same Style recipe into Steeping - show how the added benifits of
grain - and the added benifits of the software.
Continue on into All Grain brewing - the same Style recipe.
Last the experts can start in on water, hop uitilization
log rythms and other things I'm not sure what they are or how to spell.

So if you start with an Extract - Stove top brewer - show him how to figure out
Kettle heat loss/efficetancy....... Most extarct guys aren't gonna play around with
water chemistry... But if you teach the Basics that All brewers need First - then
more complicated things come with the more complicated brewing.

Besides Starting out with Extarct is how 'most' people got into this 'hobby' and it
would be good for the Soul to revisit those good olde days of stove top cooking=
Before everything they owned was StainLess Steel.

Just my 4 cents

Thanks
Steve