Mash Liquor Storage?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

timmse
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mash Liquor Storage?

Post by timmse »

Hi Guys

Can i store mash liquor with no ill effects?

i am brewing in the weekend and im doing two batches of the same beer. but i have a mash vessel that can handle both batches in one go. so i would like to leave half of the mashing liquor till the first boil is done. can i do this without problems?

Thx in advance

Tim
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Not sure I understand correctly--maybe I just don't have my coffee yet.

I interpret this: you're doing 2 batches of the same beer...mash tun is big enough to handle all the grain for both batches at the same time, but your boil pot can only handle 1 batch...you plan to have one mash instead of two...you want to boil the first half of the run-off, then boil the second half of the run-off.

If that's correct the answer is: yes, it's possible. The problem you'll run into is your first run-off will have a significantly higher gravity than your second run-off. This will affect your hop utilization and you'll have to figure this out to adjust the hop schedule to get the bitterness you're looking for.

Another option is to conduct two separate mashes. While you're boiling the run-off from the first mash, you'd mash the second batch. Which will get you around the gravity mismatch problem.
timmse
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by timmse »

you got it right :)

i have a heat approved fermenting vessel that can hold all the mash liquor, so both kettle runs will have same gravity. just needed to hear that storage didnt hurt flavor profile.

thanks for the quick reply

Tim
Dakbrew

Post by Dakbrew »

Well storage might not affect the flavor Profile. BUT if anything starts to grow in your hot sweet wert, wile it cools to room temp. You could end up with sour wert at the start of your boil.
Sony VAIO Intel P4, 3.4 GHz, 1.0 GB RAM, Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2, 17 in flat panel mointor 1280 X 1024