Excessive carbonation??

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

djanrchy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Excessive carbonation??

Post by djanrchy »

Working on drinking my second batch of homebrew.
Both were very good except on first batch was fine until about 3 1/2 weeks after bottling, when I would open a bottle at least half would foam over. Was a simple 1 can to 5 gallon recipe.
2nd batch was 1 can malt and 3 lbs. dry extract to 5 gallons and seems like too much foam and carbonation after 2 weeks.
Both were primed for bottling with one cup honey and stored in closet at about 68 degrees.
Like the slight flavor honey gives, but don't know if it is too much, or because of temperature. Both batches were ales.
Haven't had bottles explode, but any info on less wether is honey, or temp. would be appreciated.
Thanx, djanrchy.
Anarchy is Order.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Possible Solutions

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I by no means am an expert but those of us with a few batches under our belt have gone through some of the same pains/ experiences.
Two reasons why beer bottles explode/ gush:
1. The beer was not done fermenting when you bottled and when you primed it; it not only consumed your honey but finished fermenting resulting in over pressure. Do you know what your FG was before bottling?
Did you boil your honey prior to using it for priming?
2. Bacterial infection: I am not as knowledgeable in this arena but review your sanitary practices.
Hope this helps you at least get pointed in the right direction.

James
djanrchy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by djanrchy »

# 1 would make more sense especially on 1st batch. Did boil honey, but just for a minute. I'm guessing to get rid of any bacteria. Did take reading with hydrometer, but can't really figure out safe way get beer out of carboy to take daily readings, so I do gravities before yeast and when bottling. I have also 2nd fermented for a week after primary before bottling, so I would have thought fermentation complete. But the information you have given makes me think to be more aware during my next batch. Thanx.
Anarchy is Order.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Getting a FG

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Use a sanitized wine thief to sample your brews gravity. Also most ale brewers ferment a week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary and three weeks in the bottle. Barring bad yeast and poor fermentation temperatures your beer should be fermented out. Another thing I have started doing is making a yeast starter a couple days prior to brew day to ensure that I have plenty of good viable yeast.

James
djanrchy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by djanrchy »

I did make a yeast starter on the second batch which did seem to help fermentation, but I will get a wine thief and try another week in secondary next time. Thanx for the info.
Anarchy is Order.
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

Another possibility is that you didn't incorporate the honey enough in your beer when mixing for bottling. Honey, because of its thick consistency, can be tough to prime with. Sometimes it doesn't always get distributed evenly and you're left with some bottles that are very over-carbed and, likewise, some that are very under-carbed. Have you come across any bottles that don't have much carbonation?
djanrchy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by djanrchy »

Don't know cause I kind of started drinking right after bottling. Excuse was wanted to see how beer changed as aged. But makes sense about making sure honey is mixed well.
Anarchy is Order.