Advice needed - Nut Brown Ale

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

grvalley

Advice needed - Nut Brown Ale

Post by grvalley »

I started a "Nut Brown Ale" last Sunday (4 days ago) with OG 1.041. Curiously, I checked today and it is already(?) down to 1.010, but the beer is very cloudy.

Would you recommend a secondary fermentation as this point? And if so, how much sediment should I leave behind? 1" of the bottom?

Thank you.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Advice needed - Nut Brown Ale

Post by Push Eject »

Wow! That's a healthy yeast colony you've got there! What temperature is it fermenting at?

As for secondary, wait until your airlock bubbles slow down to 1 a minute at least then I would DEFINATELY secondary that thing. Give the yeast a chance to consume some of their own by-products and diacetyl.

Charlie
grvalley

Post by grvalley »

Yea, I was surprised myself. The temperature was a constant 70F and there was almost no sign anymore of any fermentation (>3mins+ for one bubble). I just racked it for secondary fermentation and will let it sit for another week.

Thanks.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Advice needed - Nut Brown Ale

Post by Push Eject »

Let us know how it turns out... perhaps a couple weeks in secondary would be appropriate. A primary that fast would probably benefit from it.

Charlie