Anyone Ever Use Wyeast 2112?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Anyone Ever Use Wyeast 2112?

Post by BillyBock »

Checking to see if anyone's ever used Wyeast 2112, California Lager? They say it maintains lager characteristics up to 65-68F and that it ferments malty and brilliantly clear. What say you, oh fellow brewers? I'm planning on using it to make a Munich Dark Lager simply because I have no ability to temperature control down into the usual 45-55F range. However, my beer closet does maintains 65F during the winter. It seems to be the best choice for my situation.
Also has anyone ever used typical lager yeast at ale temperatures? What kind of results did you get and what tricks did you have to employ post-fermentation? Thanx much.
-- Billy Bock
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Steam

Post by Freon12 »

I made "steam Beer" with this yeast. The first 7 days was fermented at 65f. the next 14 days was at 50f. It was copper color with malty low diacetyl-buttery type taste. I think the second part at higher tempreture will increase the buttery taste. Try it at 65f on second part. You can't hurt it although I would dry hop after 7 days. Sounds yummy. Anyone else?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Dry Hopping

Post by BillyBock »

Thanks, Freon. Ya know, in two years of brewing, I've never dry hopped. Just out of curiosity, why would you do so in this one...to mask the diacetyl maybe? Do you think diacetyl reduction can occur at 40F? I have a spot next to the fridge in the garage that maintains about 40F-45F. If so, I'll just put the packaged brew there before cold aging in the fridge.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

well ok

Post by Freon12 »

I may be backwards on this because I have not done this at one tempreture. Raising the temp for one day when it is 2/3 finished (diacetyl rest) will help when you start at a lower temp and rest one day at a higher temp. I am not the expert on steam here you may not even have this at 65f. Dry hop is more of a preferance than a mask.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I've Used It

Post by dartedplus »

I've used it with very good results on a Harp clone. I also di not have the ability to keep it at lagering temps. The beer came out very good and was indeed crisp and clear