Blow off

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Blow off

Post by Push Eject »

Ouch -- so I take a run at Terry's Triple Stout (recipe here on Beertools). This is probably my 30th batch brewed and for the first time I have the yeast go completely nuts in primary.
My 6.5 gal carboy was packed to the top, airlock plugged, etc...
What the heck? Ambient temp was 68f, 1l yeast starter, OG 1.066.
I threw a starsan-soaked towel over it and pulled the airlock, rigging up a blow-off tube. Think this one's contaminated?
See more at:
www.essersnet.com/beer2002.htm
Cheers,
Ollie
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Ditto

Post by Freon12 »

The exact thing happened to me when I brewed using a starter made using a magnetic stirer.I'm talking wet wallpaper.
Mesa maltworks told me this is a real good thing. Just put a 7/8 tube in the carboy or whatever size the stopper is and run it to a bucket with sanitizer in the bottom. When it settles down put the air lock on. Active yeast like that makes the best beer I ever have made. I don't think you should worry about infection because the yeast has a head start on anything that might come up.
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mt. St. Helens

Post by Monkey Man »

I have been there. I brewed a stout with a OG of 1.31. It's been a year and I'm still drinking it. It's not that it's not good, but so !@#$ good I save it for special occasions. I'd imagine you are okay. Not only does the yeast have a head start on anything else, but I'd imagine that the alcohol % is pretty high- that would aide in anticontamination.
yooper
Light Lager
Light Lager

I know I know

Post by yooper »

I haven't been doing this very long but I found that one out the hard way. Not once but twice. Talk about a mess and worries about contamination. I use a blow off tube every time now and run it into a gallon jug with sanitizer or water in it. It has been a big help. I have had some problems getting my batches to come out but using this method has been a major step forward. I use all the time now just so I don't have a clean up project to go through.

Good luck
Yooper
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Liked Your Page....

Post by dartedplus »

Really nice web page. Wish I knew how to do all that s*&t. You did have quite a mess with that blow off. I've only ever had a problem with wheat beers myself. But boy can it be messy!!! Have a good one. Ed
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Thanks!

Post by Push Eject »

Feel free to steal my source code.
Cheers,
Ollie
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Your What???

Post by dartedplus »

Yeah right, if I knew what source code was!!!!
I dont know squat about how these things work. Maybe I should take a class or get a book or something.