Lagering in kegs?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

mnichols

Lagering in kegs?

Post by mnichols »

I currently have two batches of lager lagering in a beer firdge. Being the expert planner that I am...I also have another batch of lager that is ready to move to the lagering phase. Since I am running low on lagering space my question is.....Is there a problem with lagering a batch in the keg (in my keg fridge)??? I would occasionally vent the keg and after my 8 week lagering time I would transfer the batch to a clean keg.

Thanks

-mike
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Nope, not a problem at all--just purge the headspace w/ CO2 or carbonate it while lagering. I do this all time, except my serving/lagering fridge is the same converted freezer set at just around 30F. I use a procedure that has the same effect as racking into another keg.

At the end of lagering, if I'm not ready to serve, I just hook up a picnic tap apply a small amount of pressure and catch the yeast that comes out until it runs clear. If I'm ready to serve, I just hook it up to the main tap and do the same thing.

Incidentally, I carbonate during the lagering phase and I don't cut my dip tubes, for this very purpose.

Hope this helps.

v/r
Bill
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

What pressure do you lager at???

What pressure do you set at to clear the yeast?

Thanks for the info....I may have eliminated a step thanks to you!

-mike
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Most of the time I'm ready to serve the brew, so I just hook it up to my main taps. The system is balanced at 10 psi & 30F. I use about 5' of 3/16" line to get to the tap. Your first pint or two will be nothing but the yeast off the bottom of the keg--after that it's clear all the way.

If using a picnic tap, I'd set the pressure as low as possible, 1-3 psi, just enough to gently push the beer out.

BTW, another trick I learned is to put a liquid (black) quick disconnect on my gas manifold, I use this to purge the keg--gas is directed straight to the bottom of the keg while I pull on the pressure relief. Then I fill the keg. To purge the headspace, I apply a small amount of pressure and let it bubble up from the bottom. When foams comes out of the pressure relief, I know the headspace is filled. Then I seat the lid at 20 psi, and drop it back down to 10 psi for carbonating and I'm done until serving time.

v/r
Bill