Recipe Formulation Help Needed

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Kepler57
Light Lager
Light Lager

Recipe Formulation Help Needed

Post by Kepler57 »

I am looking to brew my first lager and i have selected the Anchor Steam Beer recipe from the Clone Brews Book. In terms of malt, the recipe calls for the following:

14 oz. US Crystal
4 lb. Alexander's Pale Malt Syrup
2.75 lb. M&F light DME

However, i only have the Crystal Malt and DME available. So my question is how much TOTAL DME do i use since i will not be using any Liquid Malt ? I just basically need to adjust my grain bill to all DME and Crystal. Any help would be appriciated.

Also any additional hints from people who have brewed the California Common Beer style beer before would be greatly appriciated. Thanks so much

~ Mike
flavaham
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by flavaham »

I don't know the math off the top of my head right now, but there is a book that I have used for making my own recipes that has been right on the money. It is "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. It's got a ton of info that I use regularly.

Also, you might be able to use the beer calculator on beertools.com to figure this out. Just keep changing the numbers until you find what you want.
-g
"Beer, the cause of and solution to all the world's problems..."
-Homer Simpson
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

4# LME coverts to approximately 3.25# to 3.5# of DME. Keep the crystal the same as you're just going to steep it in the hot water before adding your DME. For yeast choose Wyeast 2112 or equivalent--that's the steam beer yeast. If you can, try and maintain stable ferment temperatures and definitely don't let it rise to high outside the recommended range to keep the production of esters and fusels down.

Hope this helps.

v/r
Bill