Chill Haze

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Tx2Step63

Chill Haze

Post by Tx2Step63 »

Hello All,

I've been brewing for about 2 years. Mostly American Brown and Pale Ales. Does anyone know of a soloution for chill haze, or is it just something you have to live with. Haven't worried about it in the past since it doesn't affect the taste. However would like to enter one of my browns in a compition in a couple of months and would like to do away with the haze if possible.

Thx in advance
G.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

I used to use Polyclar. But in the last few years I've found cold conditioning to be the best bet. Just keep them cold and the proteins will come out of solution and gravity will drop them to the bottom.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Clearing the old home brew

Post by Freon12 »

Hey Tex,

I had chill haze at first until I did two things: 1 I started to recirculate until the mash run off was clear and then send it to the boil.
2 I cold conditioned in a Corni keg, the shape of the keg lends itself to clearing out that stuff to the bottom quite well. I can now see the finger prints through a pint glass of an amber. Iris moss in the boil is all I use anymore and no other additives.

Hope that helps out, Let us know.

Steve
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by fitz »

Amylase enzyme will convert some of the non fermentable to fermentables.
You don't notice "unclear beer" as much with the darks, but the lights make it noticeable.
Don't get too caught up in the clear beer debate, and loose sight of what is truely important. TASTE, and also having fun making it.