Yet another beginner question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

yooper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yet another beginner question

Post by yooper »

Since I've been getting so much good advice from all of you I thought I would post another easy question for all of you.
To rack the fermenting wort into a secondary carboy, do I need to wait until it settles out completely or just until primary fermentation stops?
Thanks eh
Yooper
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

When to rack

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hey Yooper, I have always gone by the phylosophy of 7 days from cooking to racking and another 7 days to bottling. I have never had a problem. There really is nothing scientific about it, but I brew on a Saturday, and visible perking subsides by Thursday, and I rack on the following Saturday, then I bottle on the next Saturday. I find that it is easier to keep track of it this way and what I usually do is check the gravity on the Thursday before I bottle, if is close to the desired final gravity I know I am in the ball park. If it is off by more than .005 points then I wait another week, and repeat. Don't worry too much about it, it will all make sense after a few batches, but until then ask away ... Cheers.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Word of Encouragement for Beginners

Post by l48shark »

Yooper,
If it helps at all, I started out homebrewing knowing nothing more about beer than that the main ingredients are water, hops and barley. That was exactly 1 year ago this month and I think I am pretty well versed at it now after about 16 batches of beer and 1 wine. The point is that knowledge will come with experience very quickly. And don't let setbacks discourage you either. I had 3 early beers I didn't like and 2 others that spoiled. I think you have the right idea to ask as many questions as you have. I still pick the brains of the guys in the beer club and have much to learn yet.
Cheers,
Ford
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

one week usually OK

Post by andytv »

Yooper,

You really have nothing to lose by racking into a secondary fermentor after a week. I don' like to leave the beer on the trub for more than a week. There is nothing in the bottom trub that adds any value to the process, enough active yeast is in suspension and will tranfer to the secondary to continue fermentation. Of course, in wierd cases, you wouldn't want to disturb the beer at the peak of fermentation (krausen), but usually a week is enough.