Lyle's Golden Syrup

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lyle's Golden Syrup

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I am looking for a cheaper alternative. I brewed Pendle Witches Brew from the book Beer Captured. I did find it in a grocery store but paid over 5 bucks for a small jar. The recipe called for 8 oz. which has a dramatic effect on my cost per bottle. Has anyone had any experience brewing with this stuff? Does it make that much of a difference?

-James-
Skankin

Post by Skankin »

I've bottled a Belgian dubbel with it. It seemed to leave a sweet-caramel residual flavour.

Apparently when Monks speak of "Belgian candy sugar", they're actually refering to liquid stuff!
FrostyTheBeerman
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Lyle's Golden Syrup

Post by FrostyTheBeerman »

Wow, now that's a blast from the past !

When I was about 10 years old, ( about 30 years ago ) my father used to give us Lyle's Golden Syrup. It came in a fancy tin that had a tiger on it.... my dad would open the tin and make growling sounds ..... geez, what parents did to amuse their kids.... geez, that was a great syrup, and I can actually now remember now how it tasted. It was awesome stuff !

I live in Canada, and haven't seen it for so many years, but now will have to go check and see if I can find some. wow, memories ! :P

Frosty.

brewmeisterintng wrote:I am looking for a cheaper alternative. I brewed Pendle Witches Brew from the book Beer Captured. I did find it in a grocery store but paid over 5 bucks for a small jar. The recipe called for 8 oz. which has a dramatic effect on my cost per bottle. Has anyone had any experience brewing with this stuff? Does it make that much of a difference?

-James-