Bud & Rolling Rock Base malt

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Bud & Rolling Rock Base malt

Post by andytv »

Does anyone out there know what type of malt Rolling Rock uses as their base malt?? I understand it is the same as Bud's (though not a fan). My buddy got ahold of 50lb and I want to know what it is b4 I try a recipe.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Movarian

Post by Freon12 »

I have played with this malt. It is under modified and must be step mashed to avoid that nasty bread dough taste(you know)from starch that will not convert if infusion mashed. I found no benfit to this except for Weizen type beers. It really makes an impact on Hefe-Other than that I doubt you'll like anything about it. Remember, Bud and Rock use Rice and bogus beech wood etc. Besides, this malt is also the holy grail of beer--PilsnerUrquell Lets try to go there.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Thanks

Post by andytv »

Thanks for the info, though it is not my intention to brew a bud or rock type lager. I was just wondering if I could do anything with the stuff. Guess its not worth the trouble huh?
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Well modified version

Post by Freon12 »

I have seen an ad for the Budvar malt but it was well modified. (St.pats?)You could try this malt with much less risk. Lager of any kind. Someone once told me the maltster evidently put under modified malt in a bag labeled well modified. I don't know a way to tell the difference by looking at it.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Anheuser-Busch/Rolling Rock & Moravian Malts

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Both Anheuser Busch and Rolling Rock use mostly 6 row and may use a very small amount of 2 row brewer's malt produced by Cargill Maltings Group. The reason they choose to primarily use 6 row malt is that since they both use an adjunct mix of rice & corn, they need the additional enzymatic (diastatic) power to properly convert the adjunct derived starches in the mash since these adjunct grains lack them.

No domestic macrobrewer uses the actual "Moravian Malt" of which you speak. The reasons are it is expensive and in very short supply.

An interesting aside is that Coors claims to use "Moravian" malt in their beer. This is TECHNICALLY true, but it is not Hana barley from the Czech republic, but rather a seed variety with a patented NAME "Moravian" that is US grown !

The only true Moravian MALT is produced from barley grown in the Hana region of the Czech Republic and is used in Budvar/Czechvar, Pilsner Urquell, Pirovar and even some German and Belgian Lagers.

The real Moravian malt is available only from St. Pats in the US and is sold in both fully modified and under modified form. I have used both types for home brewing and commercial brewing and have had great, authentic results reproducing a Budvar inspired pils. The commercial one has won numerous awards in competitions.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Cargill

Post by andytv »

I am told that the malt that I has access to is produced by "Cargill". I may have an unlimited (for homebrew purposes) supply of this malt for free!! Is this a standard two row American?? (Klages).
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Moravian "Seed" Malt

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

No, this is not Klages, but rather a modified, distant variant of Hana barley that can be grown in the US. It is two row, however.