mesh bags

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

fermentor

mesh bags

Post by fermentor »

how exactly are mesh bags used for brewing. just for steeping at 165 degrees for 45 min. or so? after this just discard the grains or is there another step?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Steeping Bags...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I'm sorry to see no one answered this sooner, but if it is not too late:

Steeping bags have a variety of uses... fruit, spice & hop entrainment, specialty grain steeping and more exotic things like holding a crushed up chicken (bones and all) for making Cock Ale! (I did this as a historical experiment..., I want it on record that IT IS A DANGEROUSLY BAD IDEA TO INCORPORATE MEAT PRODUCTS IN BEER!!!!! There has not been enough research done on this topic to ensure that no patenogens can grow in beer produced this way. As the matter of fact it is specifically and strictly prohibited by the American Society of Brewing Chemists as well as the FDA.)

You posted: "just for steeping at 165 degrees for 45 min. or so? "

You should not steep grains in excess of 160 degrees to preclude leaching tannins (think puckering flavors) and lipids (plant fats) from the grains. It is really best to stay in the 145-155 range for this amount of contact time. After that, remove the bag, allow it to drain WITHOUT SQUEEZING IT over the brewpot until it doesn't drip anymore and disgard the grain. Soak the bag in a mild soap solution for 15 minutes, scrub the surfaces with you hands inside and out and allow to air dry. You can also soak it in a light bleach solution to remove the staining if it concerns you.
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands