Becks or Budvar Clone

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

sluggerdog

Becks or Budvar Clone

Post by sluggerdog »

Hi All,

I am looking for an all grain recipe/clone of either becks or budvar. I have a stackload of halleratu and saaz hops and want to make both.

Has anyone got any recipes that come over close to these two commercial brews?

Cheers :D
yeagerbm

becks and budvar

Post by yeagerbm »

Check out the latest BYO for an article on brewing these types "Green Bottle Full Throttle". They base the recipe there on Heinekin but say they are all pretty close. They use corn in the heiny clone, so just leave that out and add a little more pale malt for an all malt version.
sluggerdog

Post by sluggerdog »

I finally got around to getting this magazine and I noticed the hops on the heini clone were very low for flavour.

They had:

(0.41oz) 12 grams of 16AA Magnum @ 60 Mins

And then

(0.13oz) 3.5 grams of Saaz hops @ 15 mins

Would anyone agree with this small amount of hops for flavour and no aroma hops?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I don't remember ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Slugger,

I read the recipe back a while ago, did it call for corn grits, I can't remember, and I don't have the magazine right now ... I have used grits before (only once) I didn't like the off flavor it left ...

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

here's one for ya...

Post by wottaguy »

Try this one out....

***BUDVAR CLONE***

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012-1.013
SRM: 4
IBU: 25
ABV: 5.0%
5 gallons

Mash 9.33 lbs German 2 Row
6oz German 2.5deg L Light Crystal Malt
2 oz German Munich Malt
1oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
@ 122 degF for 25 minutes and at 150 degF for 90 mins or until conversion is completed per iodine test.
Add 3.8 HBU Czech Saaz @4%AA Bittering Hops for 60 mins of boil then
add 1/2 oz Czech Saaz and 1 tsb Irish Moss and boil for 5 mins then
add 1 oz Czech Saaz and boil for 5 mins then
add 1/2 oz Czch Saaz and boil for 4 mins then
add 1 oz Czech Saaz and boil for 1 min.

Cool as fast as possible and whirlpool for 45 mins, then gently transfer wort to primary
fermenter. Cool to 62 deg F and pitch your yeast (Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager).
When fermentation gets under way, cool primary to 47-52 deg F and ferment for no longer than 7 days. Then rack into secondary and hold for a min of 5 weeks or until cleared, then prime and bottle or keg.

**this is the "short" version of this recipe, as I probably would lager the beer for around 10 to 12 weeks @ 33-40 deg F then slowly raise the temp back to 52-55 degF then prime and bottle or keg, then let it carbonate for 5 weeks then store at 40-50 degF**
I would also consider adding 1/4 to 1/2 lb of flaked rice to the mash to lighten it up a bit!
Let me know if you try this recipe out and how it comes out and if you have the time stop by my blog at: http://wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com/
(shameless plug!!) :)
brewmaster808
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by brewmaster808 »

If someone has a clone for becks, I really be interested to slam a neighbor thats a beck fan with a fresh becks patch. hehe
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Becks for export = Adjuncted!

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

If you want to recreate the Becks flavor as we know it in the states, you have to include corn in the grist. The bitterness is also lowered to more closely match American preferences. Only in Germany is it all malt. Another problem you may run into trying to impress your Becks friend is that unless he drinks it in the can or draft, he may be acclamated to the light struck flavor that the bottles almost always have. If you brewed a fresh one, no matter how accurately, your friend may protest that it doesn't resemble the beer he loves.
This part can be solved though... if you want to intentionally light strike the beer I can post instructions. :(
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
brewmaster808
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by brewmaster808 »

Mesa Maltworks, thanks for the information, I didn't know anything about the difference versions. Do know about the green bottles. Once again thanks very much.