BeerBot forgetting registration information

Have a question about BeerBot? Ask BeerBot users a question before you upgrade to the full version.
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

BeerBot forgetting registration information

Post by goodbyesoberday »

I've noticed that frequently BeerBot will forget I have registered it, and revert to unlicensed mode. This is frustrating but not crippling as I can just reenter my registration details.

Any ideas as to the problem?

Running 10.3.9
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

how often?

Post by jeff »

Does it forget every time you open it? We have to work to figure out what is happening on your machine because your registration code expires after 30 days. We will have to issue you a new one in that case.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

It does not do it every time, and when it does all my other preferences (eg last entered values in each category) do remain.

The last time it happened to me, it occurred while I was in the middle of using the program. I was calculating some hop utilisation values, and the next thing I knew the %Util tab had greyed out as had all other features not available in unregistered mode.

I just quit and relaunched the app ten times without drama.

I'm about to repair permissions to see if that helps, will try to use the app heavily in the next few days to see if the problem pops up again.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Relaunching the app..

Post by jeff »

goodbyesoberday wrote:I just quit and relaunched the app ten times without drama.
When you quit and relaunched, did the problem resolve without re-entering the license key?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
rexpolarhunt

Having the same problem, but worse

Post by rexpolarhunt »

I fired up BeerBot for the first time in a few weeks, and it says "Sorry, this license key has expired."

I tried again - no luck. I reinstalled BeerBot, still the same message.

I was planning on brewing tomorrow with BeerBot! Help!
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Relaunching the app..

jeff wrote:
goodbyesoberday wrote:I just quit and relaunched the app ten times without drama.
When you quit and relaunched, did the problem resolve without re-entering the license key?
Sorry, no, that was after re-entering the key. Once it thinks it's unregistered the key has to be re-entered.
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

It's done it again

Most notable thing I've done in the duration is installed new software through SWupdate and restarted, but I know it happens without a restart.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Have you used the terminal window before?

Post by jeff »

Couple things you might try while we work on figuring out the issue. Keep BeerBot in your home directory Applications folder (not the root level Applications folder). BeerBot stores the license information in a file inside the BeerBot folder and you can see if it exists by using the Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities). If you start up the terminal, type this command after moving the BeerBot folder to your home Applications folder:

Code: Select all

cd Applications/BeerBot1.0
Then list the directory:

ls -la
In the listing you should see a file called .license. If the problem happens, it would be helpful if you tell me if that file is there, and who the owner and group for the file is. The terminal listing will also tell you what permissions are set on the file which will help also.
Once we get an idea of what is happening, we will compile a new download. Thanks for your patience!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

Why should it be in the home directory? I prefer to keep my apps in the root level apps folder, not that it's really a huge issue. Though I did notice I hadn't even bothered moving the beerbot folder off the desktop.

There's no .license file but there is a license.key one. The current info for it is

-rw-r--r--  1 kai  admin       77  7 Jun 10:12 .license_key
If the problem occurs again I'll revisit that.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Go ahead and keep it where you prefer..

Post by jeff »

Sorry, I forgot the name of the file :oops:

I want you to be able to keep the application wherever you want. I wasn't sure if the permissions prevented the file from being read while in the root level apps folder, although that should not be a problem.

The plan is to store the license in the preferences folder instead of the BeerBot folder in future revisions. If you discover anything that you think may be a clue, please let me know. We are determined to get it fixed, thanks again!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

it happened again

After a good run, BeerBot has forgotten its rego information again and my license key has now expired.

A quick peek in the folder, the license.key file is still there, it appears to still contain the same information (though hard to tell asusming it's encrypted) and the info for the file is still thusly:

-rw-r--r--  1 kai  admin       77  7 Jun 10:12 .license_key
For the duration, is it possible for you email me an updated license code?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Have you changed anything?

Post by jeff »

Can you recall any changes that you have made with your computer recently? New peripherals, network configuration, memory? It may seem completely unrelated, but post it anyway because there may be a link and may provide the answer to the problem. Thanks for your help!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

nope, nothing

No new hardware or changes in network configs. I even tried plugging and unplugging my bluetooth dongle which I use occasionally but couldn't reproduce the problem.

I'll keep beerbot open so I can see as soon as possible if it loses it's rego information again, so I can think of what I was doing immediately prior.
goodbyesoberday
Light Lager
Light Lager

and again

This time, though I can say I am medium-certain as to what caused it. I installed the Airport update through SW update, restarted, and it's again unlicensed. Prior to that it had been fine.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks for the details..

Post by jeff »

Hopefully, it wasn't just a coincidence, and Software Update has something to do with it. That would provide some leads on what to check for. Perhaps you can post some information about your system layout; OS, RAM, HD, peripherals, etc. Man, feels like I'm investigating a crime! Thanks for the patience, and the help!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff