Less than perfect smell

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Radler
Light Lager
Light Lager

Less than perfect smell

Post by Radler »

I've just gotten back to where my beer has been in the secondary for 3 weeks without me around to dicover that the temperature is about 10 degrees warmer than when I left (it is now 72 degrees). I had split the batch and the other part was in a cooler room and smelled and tasted fine during bottling but the warmer one is definetely headed downhill. Unfortunatley the bad part was by far the bigger part. I've bottled both and am wondering if there is anything that can be done to save this stuff. It was not undrinkable, just not so nice as the good half. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Aging

Post by BillyBock »

Can you describe what was off about the batch? Time fixes alot of things. I'd set the batch aside and come back to it in a few months. If you have the ability to cold age it that would be even better. In the meantime, brew more!
Radler
Light Lager
Light Lager

aging

Post by Radler »

No, I'm one of those beergeeks who has no ability in describing beers, it's pretty unfortunate, so I can't really say what's wrong with it, only that it did not taste like something I wanted to drink a bunch of bottles of. The smaller batch, as I said, was better. In addition to it being conditioned cooler it had a few raspberries in it which the bad half did not have, though I'm sure that is not what saved the small half. The whole thing had some raspberries in the pot (after the boil). When you say cold conditioning do you mean from right now after I've bottled or should I wait a bit, the coldest place I can find in the house is 68 deg. Should I just put them in the fridge now? This was going to be a really nice beer, I'm pretty sad.