Bubbling over airlock - help!

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

sholbert

Bubbling over airlock - help!

Post by sholbert »

I just started a stout in a 6.5 gallon bucket primary fermentor using a standard airlock (no blowoff tube, etc.). I've made several batches this way with no trouble, however this batch is now bubbling over the airlock. Is this problematic for the beer? Is there anything I need to or should do to fix it? Or is this something that's just kind of annoying, but no real trouble as far as the beer is concerned?

Thanks!

Sean
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Active Primary

Post by BillyBock »

Sounds like you have the start of a good ferment! You might want to rig a blowoff hose. Then when activity slows down put the airlock back on. If you continue to use the airlock keep cleaning it, or it'll clog the airlock...then watch what happens to the bucket (personal experience speaking) It'll generate enough force to pop the lid off the bucket and spray beer six feet. Good thing it was in a basement :D
sholbert

Post by sholbert »

A six foot beer fountain sounds good in theory, but I think it would be far less appealing in the confines of my closet! Thanks for the advice.