final gravity problem

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

bcvan

final gravity problem

Post by bcvan »

hi,

i'm trying to brew an english ale and the starting gravity was 1.07 and after a week of fermenting it is 1.034. the recipe and directions i have state the the final should be 1.015. when i took the reading, i noticed that the wort was moving a little and some bubbles were still coming up, but there is no activity from the airlock. Does this mean that it is done or should I wait. I'm pretty new at this, but all of my other batches that i made never had such a high final gravity. Is it bad to keep it in a primary fermenter for more than a week? Sorry if I sound like such a newbie - any insight or pointers would be great. thanks...
Phobos
Light Lager
Light Lager

Final gravity

Post by Phobos »

Hi. A sg of 1.07 is a strong ale, it will take time. At 1.034 in a week is pretty good. You can transfer to a secondary fermentor if you have one, now or at 2 weeks. 2 weeks is usually the longest to keep your beer in the primary so you don't get off flavors from the sediment. Yes, the yeast is still fermenting, the bubbles give it away. Transferrring the beer can make the fermentation pick up. It's called rousing the yeast. Hope this helps. Fred
bcvan

Re: Final gravity

Post by bcvan »

thanks...