USED BOTTLES

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

ESB-ME!

USED BOTTLES

Post by ESB-ME! »

Hello,

New to the forum, new to brewing. 4 Batches under the belt, and I think I'm hooked for life. Just got an all grain set up and will attempt a batch this weekend.

My question is about bottles. Do I need to use the returnable bottles, or can any bottle that was originally a "pop" top be used? I got a good deal on bottles when I first started so I bought a few cases to get off the ground, but now I am short on supply and not looking to lay out any cash.

So what do the experts say?

ESB, Bitter is Better!
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Almost any bottle will do

Post by KBrau »

I am not sure what you mean by "returnable bottle" versus "pop-top", but you can use whatever kind of bottle you would like. For capping, the best bottles are those that were not a twist-off top. Twist-offs don't really seal all that well from manual capping. Also you will find that depending on what capper you use some bottles will work better than others. I find Sam Adams style to be the best all around for recapping with a hand capper. Bench cappers will be successful with a wider variety of bottles. Some people even bottle their beer in plastic PET bottles (like soda bottles). Although I personally don't care for plastic bottles becuase they are harder to keep sanitized and don't look as nice.

What I used to do (before I lost the patience for bottling) is go to a beverage store and ask to buy the empty bottles. They would let me rummage through cases of empties and pick the ones I wanted. I think they charged me around a nickel a bottle. Just remember to always properly clean and sanitize any bottle that you plan to re-use for your beer. Hope this is helpful.

Rich

P.S. Congrats on going all-grain. You are going to like the results.
ESB-ME!

Thanks!

Post by ESB-ME! »

By "returnable" I meant those bottles that you can return to the liquor store in the case that they came in(only the mega-breweries offer these). A lot of bars use them as they are cheaper as long as you bring back the glass. They look a little different then a standard long neck and someone told me they were the only bottles you should use for Home Brew. Any way if Sam bottles work, I can get a ton of them from my neighbor.