Bizarre Contamination

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

harderj1

Bizarre Contamination

Post by harderj1 »

My beer is sitting in primary. It bubbled strong for about 3 days, had a day of every 30 seconds or so, and yesterday it was maybe every 2 minutes. I'm going to put it into secondary today.

BUT yesterday, I was being stupid and pushed on the lid of the fermentor to squeeze bubbles through the air lock. I pushed too hard. Sent out all the gas. A vaccum formed and sucked the water in the lock straight down into my my beer. !!!!!

Does this cause alarm for contaminating the batch? Is there enough alcohol at this point that any nasties wouldn't be able to take hold? Should I do anything different?
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Maybe, maybe not

Post by richanne »

Your beer may be contaminated or it may be OK. If it is infected, there really isn't anything you can do about it now. Before you bottle it, taste it; you may save yourself some bottle caps and some bottling time if it is infected. In the future, you may want to consider an S-shaped double bubbler airlock.
Richard and Anne Brady
Brady's Homebrew
http://www.bradyshomebrew.com
Phobos
Light Lager
Light Lager

Bizarre Contamination

Post by Phobos »

Hi. What style beer did you make? The %alcohol? The higher the alcohol the less chance of contamination. But they are correct try some and see how it tastes. I've had the air lock water go into my beer a few times with no problem. But I usually had a high alcoholic beer. :oops: