Adding Water to Primary

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

McHoppy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Adding Water to Primary

Post by McHoppy »

Hello brewmiesters, I have a question about adding water after a boil to bring the primary volume up. On my last batch I ended up with only 3.75gal in the primary. The recipe said to add water to 5.25gal. I felt 1.5 gal was a bit much to add. So, I only added .5 gal and am now fermenting 4.25 gal. Is there a rule of thumb on how much additional water is too much? My OG was only 1.044 when the recipe said 1.054. I didn't want to lower the gravity any further by diluting.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Adding Water

Post by brewmeisterintng »

The addition of water in the primary is designed to replace the water boiled off or if you, do to container size restraints are limited to boiling concentrated. It sounds as if you are brewing extracts however the recipe should have produced the proper OG. If your reading was correct, you will end up with a lighter beer that you planned. If you had a recipe and not a kit, I would run it through Beer Tools recipe generator to validate the expected outcome.
You did good not to add too much water to the primary. You would not have been satisfied with the outcome.

James
McHoppy
Light Lager
Light Lager

RE: Adding Water

Post by McHoppy »

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion to use the calculator on this site. I'm actually brewing an all-grain Alaskan Amber Clone.

http://byo.com/recipe/628.html

I've entered the recipe and the calculator says the OG should be 1.044 not 1.054...so I guess I hit the mark! Know I just have to work on reducing my water loss during the boil. However, isn't my OG scewed higher from wort concentration due to my high volume loss during the boil?

-McHoppy
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

OG for Ambers

Post by brewmeisterintng »

To my best recollection Ambers should run around 48-50. I just made a Fat Tire Amber Clone that had an OG of 51. The proof will be in the pudding. Finish the batch and let your taste buds be you guide.
For you knowledge... 1 pound of base grain = .67 pounds DME = .75 pounds LME as a general rule. Not all LME are equal so I'm not sure how concentrated Munton's is compared to other brands.
As I have said time and time again... brewing is an art. Not all of us hold our brushes the same but the painting/ brew turns out excellent.

Enjoy... it's a hobby

James